Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling

Collaborative Storytelling • A Writer's Sanctuary • Multi-Genre RPG

Main  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Under the Bridge  Grimnir's Inn  RegisterRegister  BLOG  Log inLog in  

Discussing Dreams

Go down 
+2
Kutsu Shita
Vaudeville
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:54 am

I am sure we all agree that we wish to develope the Dragons into the storyline more. I remember the Riegn of Fire theme , due to the fact that after you mentioned it Deb, I went out a purchased the film. That is the basis I used to create Elija's history before he arrived at Fort Glory. As a refuge, parentless and a street kid he naturally would have fallen under the influence of Scrounger and company as a way to survive on the streets. I also think we can follow how the dragons were first pecieved as well.

With the additional depth of what has already been discussed, and the addition plot twist Tiph has introduced. As in all societies there are always those that seek more power.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tomasgill2000.tripod.com/oradrethcunamotomasaralom
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:59 am

So in my last post this is the direction I have adjusted the course for the time being:

- Dragons are blinded by their arrogance.

- Yassun feels that Mermadon should be superior to the Dragons.

- There are ancient remnants of Dragon-kind all across the land. I figure the creatures with their magic were able to create structures and tombs for their kind, but thousands of years ago something happened that forced their kind to go dormant. What that is we'll have to work toward.

- I thought I would build on Colleen's Smithing and allude to her being an Enchantress. If this idea is not acceptable then I'll just re-write the post. It just seemed appropriate. If the idea is a go, then the ability is very minor at the moment, Colleen needs training to unlock her full potential.

I agree that the Ta'kun would be like 'Dinosauroids', intelligent but comparable to a more primitive version of Humans.

The Dragons (or at least one of them) being able to create the Ta'kun and Mermadon would obviously be quite advanced in their use of magic, so it would not be out of the question that their culture would revolve around it's use.

I always pictured the Dragons like the movie 'Reign of Fire', only their colours vary and their size exceeds those versions when they get older. Most lore has Dragons grow to immense sizes as they approach the thousand year mark. Most Dragons right now are no where near that old, and they grow far slower if not at all while they rest or go into hibernation.
Back to top Go down
http://darkoak.org
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:16 am

I personally like the direction you took it Tiph. It allows for the introduction of more magic, the expanditure of the dragonslayer, the possablity of the humans seeking retribution and the possibility of an alliance between dragon and human to foil a mutual threat that is building.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 1:46 pm

Yes. I really like the idea of the characters maybe encountering some benevolent Dragons that do not subscribe to the views of the majority. Who knows? They all may inherently have that ere of superiority, not unlike the English during the crusades, but some may be more receptive to change.

If we all accept the concept that Dragons enter a dormant state and sleep for hundreds of years at certain times which may not coincide with the slumber of others of their kind, then there may be other Dragons yet to awake. Other 'Weirs' (Anne McCaffrey's Dragon rider series meaning a gathering or home of Dragons) may exist in the West, their homes long since reclaimed by nature.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 1:29 pm

Oh I agree with everything, I was just adding my two cents worth. I love you

I like the idea of Colleen being an Enchantress. I'll have to study up on it so I get it right when the time comes. I'm thinking that, until she realizes what she IS, she will create her blades by accident, just as she has done thus far. Of course not EVERY blade she makes will be enchanted, only certain ones. I'll work on how that happens. I have a pretty good idea, but I need to work on getting it to flow in words.

If I have confuzzled anyone, then welcome to my world. J/K

We'll work on everything and get the story rolling along just fine again.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Oh, yes, I completely agree that not every blade would bear enchantments. Thus far, what ever she has done to create magicked weapons has been unconscious and there is probably also a little bit of coincidence thrown in there too. I am very glad that you like the Enchantress idea, it will really add to the story and greatly increase Colleen's importance in the 'Dragon plot'.

From what I know the crafting of Enchanted or Magicked weaponry is rare and powerful. Colleen would indeed be highly sought after. Her power to 'Enchant' would also allow her to perform other magic, as from what I know the spells can also be placed upon living things.

Oh, and Mallethden is a ways off from tracking down Colleen. No sense in rushing things along. I will make sure I throw in the occasional post on his where-a-bouts just so he just doesn't pop into the story unrealistically and conveniently. He just knows West... and that's a lot of ground to cover.

I have another idea that I am going to tie into the excavation going on under Fort Glory and this will give Colleen and other people with magical backgrounds another avenue to learn about their magic... when all they get all their ducks in row of course. Very Happy
I really think everyone will like it, but when I post it, I will write in a fashion that would allow modification just in case for some unforseen reason it causes too many conflicts.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Very nice. Everything is progressing along quite well.

So I have introduced the 'Blasphemous Alliance of Man and Dragon'.

The ancient land of Tiann, is far to the South and East of Dophir, a peninsula surrounded by a massive mountain range, The Mountains of the Golden Dragon. (way off the map)

The Tianyin, worship Dragons and when they had awakened and destroyed Dophir and raged across the lands the also attacked Tiann but the people there had the assistance of Dragons that they had allied with long ago. This is a fact know only to the Dragons, the Dragon-kin have no knowledge of these other Weirs that countermand the followers of Koldarris.

Tiann is basically representative of Ancient China. The people embrace mysticism and thus the knowledge of magic is far more wide spread. They utilize 'Chi' energy and the culture is basically the same but with some differences. Right now there are no people from Tiann in the West, people are quite ignorant of their culture but it's not to say that characters cannot be created that have recently come from the fabled land. I am setting up Lasekura with Tiann heritage to help with the plot and other Tianyin could spring up here and there, but their presence would be quite significant most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 3:43 pm

Way cool, that will work well. Perhaps there can be some old folks that tell tales of folk lore or folk tales that elude to the people of the east. Legends as it were, as we all know all legends hae a grain of truth to them.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 3:54 pm

Yeah, totally.

I should add that thousands of years ago, the 'Good Dragons' brought the Tianyin with them to the West, but they did not remain. Relics of the Tianyin people would mysteriously litter the Western world but people would not know what to make of them. Probably think that they were an ancient indigenous people that died out.

Some people might make the connection though, and they might have a story or two tell when asked. These theories would not be looked kindly upon by the typical Western Scholar as they would think it preposterous that the Tianyin people would have settled in West thousands of years before their own ancestors. (Typical arrogance).

There could be villages in the far West with Tianyin people, descended from the ones brought by the Dragons for all I know. Let your imagination be your guide. With the development of this strange new culture we now have the prospect of finding ancient and magical Tianyin artifacts which could be magical in nature. Perhaps these people learned magic to the point that they could destroy the Dragons themselves if they desired... there are many paths that the plot can travel.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 8:43 am

LOL....I like the updated pics of Raj and I love who you picked as Kallend. I had Brian Keith in his later years envisioned but Brian Dennehy is damn good too.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 10:12 am

Yeah, I thought I would give Raj a more comely appearance.

I pictured Marshall Kallend looking like Dennehy, from the start... sort of the same character he portrayed in 'Silverado', only not a 'bad guy'. Smile
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 10:20 am

I loved Silverado.

And he can play a good prick or a really decent good guy. He's a very versital actor.

And he's the perfect visual portrayal for Kallend.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 2:45 pm

You guys will notice that on the map there is a tributary by Mierithal that links up with the River Rathilm.

Steamboats were well into use by 1823 so I don't see why they wouldn't exist in the world of No More Dream and it would make sense that River Boats would (would have) traveled frequently between Fort Glory and Baloc.

The Riverboats would not stop by as frequently as trains and for the amount of real time that elapsed in Fort Glory it makes sense that none of the boats would have been by. People would have probably fled down river as well in their own boats to escape the Ta'kun, but realistically they would have sitting ducks for raiding parties.

Once the characters decide or are somehow lead to Baloc we should have them travel by Riverboat. One would probably stop by Mierithal monthly and for a day their would be a market plus anything purchased from Baloc would be transported on the boat. If say, Mierathal is expecting the Riverboat in three weeks then the characters have the time to make their decisions and develop their story lines.

Of course with the Ta'kun raiding parties around, security on the Paddle Wheel boat would be tight. Who knows, maybe even some extra forces from Baloc will be sent up. I just think it would be cool to travel on an old Riverboat to a new city, but I guess we'll see what develops, after all three weeks can be an eternity in the posts. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 4:11 pm

I like the river boat idea. Not only does it make sense, but the Shoddy End Gang would love the adventure of traveling by river boat. As most have never ventured farther than the walls of Fort Glory. Further more they would have heard all sorts of stories, true and exaggerated about river boat travel. Also they would have been exposed to enough card sharks to be able to spot them easily. Who knows one of them may even show potential and get it in his head to be a river boat pilot.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 4:28 pm

It would definitely be very 'Huck Finn' and a fun transitional adventure. Smile

I think a lot can occur on the River boat. I'll make sure I post a map of one prior to that part of the story and we'll have some fun. I think the journey to Baloc would take around 13-15 hours, factoring in some stops and rough or shallow waters that would need to be negotiated.
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Great, I once again agree with the time frame, although it could be extended it need be for various reasons. I definatelt think an over night journey or arriving after dark at Baloc. That would add a bit of mystery to the new surroundings. As well as showing a bit of the nightlife on the riverboat and Baloc. Who knows maybe Splevey's face could be noticed at the landing. He would definately be interested on both the cargo and any new arrivals. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 12:48 pm

Nice post. We should be able to advance the days at a good rate I imagine. A little more realistic.

I am working on a post for supper at Kallend's. It's taking a little longer than I expected, there is a lot of detail in the introduction of his home and some insights into his life.

I am just going to write up to the beginning of the supper, preliminary conversation is going to being in the parlor, where often women and children were silent and the men spoke. Once at the table the characters can converse and reveal plans or possibly recent discoveries. Cool

(My time seems a little shorter now that we have a puppy running around. A shitzu-havanese cross, super-cute.)
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 1:11 pm

LOL

Thanks. I figured we could advance the story at a nice pace as well. While we'll need to keep the time frame realistic enough for the sake of some conversations the characters will need between each other, we don't want to stalemate the story either. And of course there will be Ta'kun raiding parties here and there to contend with, no doubt.

GRRRRRR...you just WOULD have to mention that fact about the parlor, wouldn't you? (J/K cherry )

And yes, puppy's DO tend to need a bit more time than mature dogs. They are just like small children who have to be monitored to make sure they don't get into things that are potentially harmful. Not to mention look for the tell tale signs of a needed potty break.

We're going to be getting a white german shepheard pup in the fall. We've already ordered her, we're just waiting for the bitch to come into heat and hopefully she will become pregnant.

I figure my son will be ready for another dog by then. While he's coping well witht he death of his long time companion, he still misses him.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 4:30 pm

Ah, the mellow German Shepherd, nice. They are beautiful dogs.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 4:34 pm

LOL...not sure about the 'mellow' part. At least not at first. It will take her a few years to mellow out some. But she will definately be the full of energy ball of fire my son needs to let him see that he can have a wonderful companion once again.

By the way, that was a very good post. I don't have time to reply to it just now. I'll get to it as soon as I can.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks, its nice to get back to some 'domestic' writing after all the mayhem. I figure it's important to add some more depth to Kallend as he is the central figure of Mierithal, at least from the perspective of our characters.

Take your time... no rush, the story is moving along nicely and the others that require attention as well. Smile

I think the supper will provide a good outlet for the character's hidden thoughts and agendas.
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 9:25 am

Dittos on the post job Tiph.

Yep puppies can be a challange but nothing either of you can't handle I am sure.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks again. Smile

I really enjoy assisting in the direction of the story but I do not like to fall prey to the almighty EGO. I do not want to become domineering, so I try as much as I can to allow plenty of room for other ideas, in my mind that that is the true spirit of Free-Form writing - a good blend of Direction and Constructive Response.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:08 am

That was an EXCELLENT bit of writing RPM. I don't believe I want to leave Marshall Kallend's house. Smile

I believe that the characters are definitely due for some victory in their tragic lives. Fort Glory has fallen, but Meirathal should stand against the Ta'kun. When the time comes I think we should have a little success against the 'villains', do you think?

Because Mierathal is in such close proximity to Glory an attack is imminent. I was alluding to the raids of the Lesser Ta'kun, because I imagine that they are more territorial than the Greater. I am not sure why, just seems fitting. The Lesser Ta'kun which are inherently scavengers would be compelled to spread out and stake their claims to the their new area. This would be an instinct that the Mermadon know is futile to try and discourage and so there would be smaller parties bent on conquest. They would be looking to make names for themselves to build up their standing in their clans and so these hunting parties would take great risks for fame and glory.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:28 am

Thank you very much.

And yes, I think a little victory against the Ta'kun is appropriate. I think your perception of the Lesser Ta'kun is right on the money. I believe it's their basic instinct to want to claim territory for themselves and run off anything that tresspassed on it. Human or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussing Dreams
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next