Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling

Collaborative Storytelling • A Writer's Sanctuary • Multi-Genre RPG

Main  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Under the Bridge  Grimnir's Inn  RegisterRegister  BLOG  Log inLog in  

Discussing Dreams

Go down 
+2
Kutsu Shita
Vaudeville
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Vaudeville

Vaudeville

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 12:33 am

OOC Comments Here!

I do hope Socks comes back to us here. I am worried by his long absence, as he said nothing before vanishing...

Anyway, if and when he returns, he should probably be the one to write the digest. Unless he doesn't care to, in which case I will be happy to do the job--with all of your input, of course!
Back to top Go down
Vaudeville

Vaudeville

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 1:08 am

Alright... Although there are many posts in NMD that I really enjoyed, there aren't many that I personally wrote that I feel might be needed for future reference, so I wont clog the forum with all my favorite Gertrude moments or Faulks insights. But I did put up a couple of old posts in 'Fragments', because my memory is a little shaby and I want to remember them.

I don't think I'll bring anything else over from NMD, much though I shall miss those old story tidbits! But on this adventure especially, I feel like the brunt is still ahead of us. So lets keep fighting and writing!
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 8:51 am

Alright then...

I'm going to make a post about what has happened thus far concerning the story in its entirety, hopefully without mixing anything up. But I'm sure I can manage to recall most things accurately enough.

Also, the "catchphrase" of the story has always been wrong. But given Oscar's state I didn't bother with attempting to get it changed.

I intended for it to be the simple phrase; "Awaken to a world under siege by dragons, where you will find no rest and given no mercy."

But maybe make it more like; "Awaken to a world where the grandest nation had achieved technological advances like we knew during the first half of the 19th century, only to be destroyed by the sudden appearance of Dragons. Now one must survive in a world where you will find no rest and given no mercy."

Bit more descriptive than the first, so that might be considered an improvement.

Now let me work on a "recap".
Back to top Go down
Vaudeville

Vaudeville

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 9:53 am

Excellent! So glad you're back, Socks!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 10:50 am

I'll change the description of No More Dreams.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bifrost-bridge.com
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:12 am

Socks. Do you want to re-title, Fighting Back? Like maybe 'Book 3: Fighting Back', maybe you could rename your other subject as 'Interlude' or something, I dunno. Just a thought. Very Happy

I guess you can always split the existing thread and completely re-work everything.
Back to top Go down
http://darkoak.org
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:15 am

I'll fix things as I go.

Please stand by.

And don't mind the dancing monkey, he's... he's not part of it...

Shoo, Monkey! Shoo!
Back to top Go down
Vaudeville

Vaudeville

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 12:09 pm

Oh, hooray! I loved the letter! Splendid, splendid. My blood is pumping again and I am excited to continue our story.
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 3:18 pm

If I forgot anyone important in that second post of Book Three, let me know.

I know there's others, but I think they're minor enough to skip. And others I've already covered in the letter.

I've got some more things to add and then its time to rumble.
Back to top Go down
Vaudeville

Vaudeville

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Looks good to me! Shall I erase the space for the synopsis in 'Fragments'?

Oh, and one minor note... Gertrude is an ENERGY mage, not an Elemental mage... Heh. Just so's you's all clear on that. I believe The Amazing Richard IS an Elemental mage, though, right Socks?
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 4:37 pm

Yes, why what made you say otherwise?

Gertrude = Energy
Richard = Elemental
Kylea = Nature/Mind
Payden = Mind

And we used to have our shadow mage, but I guess he's out for the count.

Oh, yeah, you requested a synopsis and I began filling the new chapter with it instead of realizing you had reserved space for it in the Fragments. So yeah, you can get rid of that unless you feel like writing your own (obviously less awesome) synopsis or whatever you think passes for one.

Yikes... That might have been uncalled for.

Ah what the frak, you'll live.

Heh.
Back to top Go down
Vaudeville

Vaudeville

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 4:59 pm

What makes me point out Gertrude's energy-ness is the fact that you call her magic elemental in your 'season review', and Tiphereth does as well in his recent Payden post... So I just wanted to clarify--SO THERE!

But I think it's definitely clear now, so I'm happy.

And I MIGHT write a synopsis of the plot events in order, but truth be told, I'm a little tired of synopsi at the moment and would rather use the time and energy to write posts. So actually, I'll just erase it.

Unless someone else wants to add a digest or list of plot points there?
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 5:05 pm

I think Fragments should stay, if allows others to post passages they feel important from the old site. There I am down to $0.12 cents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tomasgill2000.tripod.com/oradrethcunamotomasaralom
Vaudeville

Vaudeville

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 6:00 pm

OH, don't worry! I didnt mean 'erase ALL of fragments.' Just the space I left open for a synopsis at the top of the thread. Heheheheh. No fears. The 'Fragments' topic shall remain--or at least, I won't be the one to destroy it. In fact, I think I'm the only one who posted anything there. I must be the most...what's the word...sentimental, that's it.

Oh wait! Kutsu posted the dragon scene. Okay. I feel better.
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Not at all, Koldarris' little merm bashing has been saved for posterity.

You poor sentimental woman...

Besides, we can save all of the past two chapters if we please. It'd take a little doing, but reposting it here in all its glory is not beyond us.
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Ok, its getting late and though I'd like to add more, I'm done for the day.

I have opened Book Three to the general public and though I'd like to merge Fighting Back with it, I couldn't quite get it to work right now. If anyone wants to give it a try, go ahead, I'm off to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 11:44 am

By the by.

Though I approve of these sniping assassination attempts, do keep in mind that what is considered sniping today isn't quite what it was back in those days.

Sure, a proper rifle of its time is pretty accurate, but of course it will never have the range of anything we know today.

Despite that, at the time they had no scopes or anything like that, which is probably a far greater problem than the lower quality.

Since I can't say I'm a hunter or something like that, I don't know what kind of ranges we ARE talking about here, so I did some quick checking.

Supposedly, with practice, you could hit a MOOSE with a modern day rifle at a distance of 200 yards with just good old fashioned iron sights.

Considering these people are probably hunting with weapons far more sophisticated and accurate, and we're not trying to shoot a moose, but a ta'kun or perhaps a mermadon I think its reasonable to assume you have to be at 100 yards or less for your shot or you're probably not going to hit the intended target, let alone kill it.

Keep that in mind, it might be closer to your target than you'd like.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 10:20 am

Here's some research:

Sniping

Well sharp shooters definitely existed but unlike today where any fool can pick up a high powered rifle with a scope and have a half decent chance of hitting their mark, especially at 300 yards, people in the 19th century needed some serious skill, and it wasn't common.

Today people adept with a rifle commonly make 1000 yard shots, unheard of in the first half of the 19th century. In the later half though I do recall that more sophisticated high powered rifles were made.

This is quoted info:
The long rifle is said by modern experts to have a range of 80 to 100 yards. This figure is meant for the normal or novice user. A trained, experienced shooter who knows how to take variables into account such as (gunpowder) load, windage, drop, etc. can easily extend the medium range of the long rifle to 400-500 yards.

Sandy Graves is an exceptional marksman, a dead-eye and can make consistent 300 yard shots. Were the world more stable and the lad more innovative he could be in a carnival entertaining people instead of dying in battle.

The Percussion Cap

The percussion cap, introduced around 1830, was the crucial invention that enabled muzzle-loading firearms to fire reliably in any weather. In the 1850s, the percussion cap was first integrated into a metallic cartridge which contained the bullet, powder charge and primer. By the late 1860s, breech-loading metallic cartridges had made the percussion cap system obsolete.

Basha has been using percussion caps, but as it says above they were not combined with the metal cartridge we are all accustomed to until the later half of the 19th century so his caps are loose. So the cap is added, then the shot, and the hammer sets off the cap. Simple.

Since he uses caps he is more limited to a 250 yard shot, since he cannot fiddle with the power of his charge. Realistically he is most likely not going to hit anything that is beyond 200.

The metal cartridges were first invented to accommodate riders, who were constantly fumbling with the little caps on their mounts and consequently getting their butts shot off.
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 12:40 pm

That beats my pulled out of the ass estimation...

Darn!

So alright, Sandy can definitely go beyond what I figured might be appropriate, I suppose the lesser skilled will need to be at a 100-150 to get a good shot off. Regardless, its not as far as any modern weapon today and I wanted to be sure all of you were aware. Seems someone was way ahead of me though...

Since we're babbling about 19th century gun technology anyway I might as well delve a bit deeper into the Shut-Eye.
It uses paper cartridges which combine powder, percussion cap and actual projectile, wrapped in several layers of paper in order to combine the parts with one layer but keep certain bits from mixing with an other. Instead of the percussion cap being at the bottom it was actually in the middle and when triggered the gun would make a needle pierce the paper, pass through the compartment of powder and then ignite it with the cap.

An advantage is that once fired the chamber of the gun is always empty; The "shell" is made of paper and has ignited, and both the PC and the bullet have been shot out of the barrel. Supposedly igniting the powder "backwards" creates superior internal dynamics and adds to stability and thrust for the bullet, but despite that contemporary bullets don't use this to their advantage. Probably because paper cartridges are made of paper and that kind of sucks in its own way, and sticking a needle through metal is kind of difficult... Of course, I doubt there's a huge visible difference between a "needle gun" and the kind of long rifle the snipers will be using for example when it comes to accuracy, range and force of impact or whatever.

Though certainly you can fire the Shut-Eye way more often, given all you have to do is open the breech, insert a cartridge, close, fire and repeat. Supposedly this kind of rifle was also quite reliable, and the only part of it likely to break was the needle, which was easy to replace, even on the field of battle, provided you have a spare.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 1:56 pm

Yes, I checked on that technology (you knew I would). Basha being a gunsmith would be aware of the technology, but had simply not yet embraced it.

Paper cartridges would be cutting edge technology at the time, something the Basha does not yet deal with, going more the route of the percussion cap by itself. His guns have converted hammer strikers, which was possible to do to regular flint lock pistols, I am not sure how, but I read something that said gunsmiths were able to do it.

The paper cartridge is an excellent idea, but people like Basha would probably stick with the percussion cap, because they are all weather.

You have however got me thinking. Sandy and Basha may in fact carry paper cartridges for their rifles. The reason being, someone who knows what they are doing may be able to modify the gun powder in the cartridge to allow for the extra range the way someone would accomplish this with straight black powder and wadding. What do you think, Socks? Not sure if it may be more realistic or not.
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 2:24 pm

Well, I had my doubts... but I had assumed as much, heh.

Just trying to educate the masses, you know.

Well, the problem is you can't fire a paper cartridge without the needle. And I doubt you can fire the more ordinary kind of shot WITH a needle, so you'd need separate rifles for the different kinds of ammunition.

Aside from that, they might be walking around with one of the earliest types of breechloaders. The amount of Shut-Eyes is most likely extremely limited around the world.

But aside from that I'm sure you can figure it out for yourself.
Back to top Go down
Vaudeville

Vaudeville

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Ah, just go with the rifle. It had good range and, for the gun technology of the time (as depicted in our story, anyway), it was the preferred weapon of skilled shooters. And skilled shooters could shoot 3-4 rounds per minute without fail.

Just my two cents. I borrowed them from Dann. I'll pay you back, Dann.
Back to top Go down
Vaudeville

Vaudeville

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 8:48 pm

Ah ha ha haaaa! What excitement aboard the Sylph!
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 8:58 pm

I know! The story just seemed to write itself... I had no control! I think you pulled a Jedi mind trick on me!

Last edited by Tiphereth on Sun May 03, 2009 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Np you have an excellant line of credit, will that be a fixed intrest rate or variable?
Back to top Go down
http://www.tomasgill2000.tripod.com/oradrethcunamotomasaralom
Sponsored content

Discussing Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Dreams   Discussing Dreams Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussing Dreams
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next