Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling

Collaborative Storytelling • A Writer's Sanctuary • Multi-Genre RPG

Main  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Under the Bridge  Grimnir's Inn  RegisterRegister  BLOG  Log inLog in  

SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC

Go down 
+2
Tiphereth
Sir_Easy
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Sir_Easy

Sir_Easy

SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Empty
PostSubject: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:54 am

A group of free grazers, trying to escape their pasts, are driving cattle and living off the land on the open range- a place where nature makes the only laws.

Several scenes bring the group together...fighting indians, horse theives, a raging storm, fool's gold and the ruthless evil rancher that tries to run them out of town.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:50 am

I have often thought of this concept. I love the old Spaghetti Westerns. Yeah, they're sure don't accurately describe native people but they're still pretty cool. Clint was the best! (He still is). We'll talk about this some more and see what we can develop.

Writing some Louis Lamour classics would be fun. I am also very partial to John Wayne.
Back to top Go down
http://darkoak.org
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:44 am

This does sound interesting. I might be up for this. Love John, Louis, Palance, Boone, & Clint. Love those John Ford films too. Yes this could be fun ( must practice my quick draw and clean up my Peace Keeper.) Kevin Costner was the best Wyatt Earp. William Boyd as Hop A Long Casssidy.
Have Gun Will Travel was great too. Oh yea and we cannot forget Gabby Hayes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tomasgill2000.tripod.com/oradrethcunamotomasaralom
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 11:57 am

Yeah Kostner was awesome as Earp, but Kilmer was the best Doc Holliday. Dennis Quaid paled by comparison.

I would have to say though that it is a story line that demands people to be in the know. I don't think its story for everyone. Someone who is not familiar with the Western Genre would very quickly ruin the story. Not to say that participants have to be avid fans, but one's view on the genre should be broad. I specifically mean that if one's view of the story is going emulate one particular movie... let's say the movie 'Bad Girls' (I shudder just thinking about it) then I think the person may have a difficult time adding believability to the story. However, I do believe that Sharon Stone's performance in the 'Quick and the Dead' was a very good portrayal of a the romantic version of the 'female cowboy character'. She retrained femininity without becoming completely unbelievable like the women in 'Bad Girls'.

Just my opinion. Before stories begin I like to try and scope out the pitfalls so that they can be patched or avoided.

As we all know a good story requires an antagonist and this goes without saying in a Western story, so this would have to be established from the beginning. It's not often that gunslingers get together for a tea party but that being said every moment isn't a shoot out either. I feel, however, that the three of us right now, share the same romantic ideas of the story. 'Riding out into the sunset', 'out-drawing the bad guy'... that sort of stuff.

A good thing to do is hash out some parameters...

Where will the story begin?
What is the general atmosphere of the area?
How real should we be? Should we try and be historically accurate or should we stick to the romantic notions?

Of course we don't want to make a mockery of the Western genre, but on the other hand trying to be historically accurate is probably too challenging for some light writing. After all, how many people are actually historians of that era? I personally like the romantic style, where while a woman gunslinger is rare, they are not unheard of, and they don't have to look like KD Lang.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:19 pm

I love westerns!!!

I like playing the pain in the keister Indian types.

LOL
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:54 pm

I loved 'Worm' in the Charles Bronson movie the White Buffalo.

That presents another thing to address. I LOVED the tv series Kung Fu, but if we suddenly have Chinese Shoalin monks popping up at every turn the 'Western' theme would get a little twisted. While one doesn't want to discriminate we would have to establish some ground rules about the types of characters one can play. If someone's Chinese and wants to play a Chinese character, we all have to consider what is was like for the Chinese people back in those days. We don't have to adhere to the ignorant bigotry but we also can't turn a blind eye to as well. The amount of chopsaki characters would definitely have to limited, since we don't want every character dodging bullets, tossing bamboo sticks and kung-fuing their opponents while others are trying to emulate a classic Western theme.
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm up for it. I love the romantic westerns and I especially would enjoy playing the half-breed wanderer, female of course. She would have her feminity, of course, but able to handle weapons as well.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:15 pm

SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Spurs_sixguns_banner

So I propose we name the story line. Spurs and Six Guns.

We'll still have to hash out some ground rules and establish the basic outline.

This is a concept I have had on the back burner for a while, and I have learned Lac has also toyed with the idea for some time. Now that it has been brought up by Sir Easy, we're willing to give it a shot (no pun intended). We don't want to implement too many rules since that tends to take all the fun out it but as always we stress that writers stay true to the theme.

As previously stated, while we do not want in anyway to condone racism, we are emulating a time where it did exist. We do not want the overall theme to be dominated by bigoted commentary, but those who play the roles of minorities, such as Native Americans, Mexicans, Chinese and African Americans should write in accordance to the segregation that was generated at the time. Simply put I think an obvious tolerance should exist for realism but it should not dominate the story. A character that constantly whines about the injustices of the time or is constantly getting persecuted gets really annoying. Realistically someone who is full blooded native isn't going to wander into a saloon with war paint on their face with no other motives but to buy a drink. If something so silly occurs they will simply be shot, end of story.

Site moderators and admin will control the law. Whatever the setting, local law enforcement will be created and will be used to keep chaos to a minimum and provide some opposition for those writers who choose to create outlaws.

I'll stop blabbing now and let others chime in. I think we should set our ground rules before starting anything. I'll create a character topic and call it Spurs & Six Guns, and if another name is chose we'll change it later.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:40 am

So I was doing a little research on American History and it seems that a good time to set the story in would be 1870. Its five years after the Civil war and animosity would still exist between the North and South but slavery is abolished and people are striking out west to the sparsely populated West to make their fortunes.

I am thinking, that any towns and settlements we use should just be fictitious so we can avoid the trappings of historical inaccuracies. We can use a town like Tombstone or Deadwood as models, just change the names.
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 8:29 am

I like it, count me in as well. I will be submiting my char within a couple of days. I do think we should keep certain things as historically correct as possible. As in weapons, modes of transpotation, modes of communication, ect.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:51 am

I agree 100%.

We are both Story tellers and Writers. What's the difference? Research.

I spend quite a bit of time researching in order to be accurate, but I enjoy it. I am not saying that 100% accuracy is mandatory, but I feel everyone should at least try and stay true to the period that they are writing in. If you don't know something, Google it and find out, its that easy.

One thing that is very important in a 'gunslinging' adventure (as we have learned from No More Dreams) is researching accurate ranges. I was very surprised how short they were. When people are riding away from the gun fire of old western six shooters and they're not getting hit, that's actually a pretty accurate account. Except everyone once in a while the horses did get hit, which the movies tend not to show. Not that we should dwell on that either since we are writing in a more romantic style.

If you want a play a Native American you may have to wait a while until we determine the area we are going to start. I think that some information on their tribe should be listed in the bio, nothing too heavy, it would just be nice to know their language, their region and who their natural enemies are. This is for the cases that we have more than one native character and it would be good to know ahead of time if their tribes are friendly, neutral or enemies toward one another.

I did some research on Saint Cloud, Minnesota for my character and I think I am going to add that information into the bio now that I have thought about it. The more historical information we have from the start the easier the writing will be.

That's the thing about 'period' pieces. You just can't make stuff up. Twisting the truth is alright, but you have to know the truth to start with.
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:47 pm

Easy and I were discussing that as well, Lac and agree that weaponary, modes of transportation, etc. should all be historically accurate. We also agree on the concept of setting up towns based on the original ones i.e Tombstone but use a different name. Also, the same with characters. Like, set up one based on Billy the Kidd but use a different name and character history. What does everyone think about having it set in Colorado, close to the mountains or in Wyoming?
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 1:39 pm

Tiph, I need some help. I am going to get my character started and have been looking for a picture for her but am coming up empty handed. I know what I want, it's just finding it that is difficult. So, can you help me out? She will look like Megan Fox, lives on a ranch with her father and was raised to be a ranching girl. I will go ahead and get her character started to give you more info if you don't mind doing this. She's usually in men's jeans or a split skirt, carries a rifle and sidearm and can ride as well as any man.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 3:19 pm

I'll see what I can do... and actually quite often Women ride better than Men, or at least have the potential to do so.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:15 pm

I think, legends like Billy the Kid and Doc Holliday should exist, they just won't physically enter our stories... at least never when we are in a fictitious town of our making. I, however, don't want to dismiss someone hearing rumours or reading about, say the exploits of Wyatt Earp. Might be a nice thing to throw in once in a while.

Technically, the American Old West, is anything west of the Mississippi and beyond the Appalachians, so that's our range for the story. I kind of had my heart set on Arizona, which is the classic setting for most Western movies and literature but where ever we start out we'll probably end up moving around anyway. Outlaws tend not to hang around the same town for very long.

Picking a setting a long the Rockies would work too. There were several mining towns that sprang up over night throughout the West and then vanished along with the precious metals. We can create a town named Quartzville or Panhandler, something like that.

(This is a really hard scenario for a Canadian by the way. Smile )
Back to top Go down
Sir_Easy

Sir_Easy

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Tiph,

been running all over and dont have a chance to stop and chat fior now..but was thinking more like naming the west ffrpg as \

Great Adventures of the Wild Old West

lots of intersting replies...Angie and I are working on the plot.

The ol west fashion clothes, weaponry, should stay the same. Romantic notations over historical.. lots of ideas can be expended on from wagon trains to farming to indian wars...etc etc etc...strictly fictional writing...gun slingers...wells fargo mail --ol bank robberies or hold ups on horses...more to come ...have to run now to the store. historically..sometime after civil war...between 1855-1870

Lots of stories involving Clint eastwood, and John wayne were my favorites...but even ol Doc Holiday

EASY
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:49 pm

I think that title is too long. We try and keep the titles a little smaller so they fit well in the forums. Perhaps you can shorten it or come up with something a little catchier.

Also if you are going to run the adventure let us know if this is going to be free form, directed or controlled as per: http://www.bifrost-bridge.com/mimir-s-well-f4/2-starting-your-story-important-information-t71.htm

Please set up the plot then and create a rules page that we can review before participating. I know that Lac may share my sentiments when I say that I have always wanted to start a Western Writing story and look forward to adding to a scenario that stays true to a Western theme and the history of the time period. For me the research is part of the fun.

I am VERY interested, however, HOW this story is going to be moderated.
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 7:58 am

Yes, I too have considered a western genre that holds true to the history of those times. Although there is nothing wrong with a little literary license. Afterall every legend and myth has some truth in it. I too would be interested as to the rules and how it is to be moterated.
Very true Tiph the research is half the fun.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:54 am

Back to top Go down
Sir_Easy

Sir_Easy

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 4:10 pm

<<<<<set up the plot and create a rules page that we can review before participating. the history of the time period. For me the research is part of the fun.>>>>

One thing AGREED on by us, we all love to add a tab of believable history in our writings...even if its about dragons or hunting trips.

you should read Johans hunting trip at HOF as authencate as possible...never hunted wild turkey before but with some
historical data and articles on the net ...I try to make the best of everything i write.

Yeah guess you're right on the title...its bit too long. SPURS And SIX GUNS....

It jumps out at you...like Blazzin Saddles

Spoke to Sintara...we will build a starting point...a fictional town in Arzonia...

I have 2 properties iin the high desert and one in the low desert of AZ (near Sedona, Bullhead city (western rim of the grand canyon is about 60 miles away and Tombstone). Everybody knows what happen in tombstone..i hope.

Excellent launch off for stories with a tab of history. That is if noone minds it being in Arzonia. Agreed anything west of the Mississippi. Lots of films made in AZ ...Rt 66 is south of one of my properties.

Gold rush of 1849 in California...

Even Grizzley Adams played a part in history just down the street from here. His hunting grounds were from Mt Diablo to his base camp in Corral hollow.

Anyway...we'll work on the perimeters and the rules page...

I like the idea of free form verses rolling dice ...moderators...hmmm titter tatter......let me discuss that with Sintara and you Tiph...pros and cons...maybe we should have a mod just in case we get stuck and need to add a scenero to keep the stories rolling...that can be an afterthought.

Im at work..so I will not be able to comment on anything until after i get home tonight.

Easy
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:48 pm

All sounds good to me. Free Form's the best and moderation is probably not really necessary as long as every one stays historically accurate and keeps the characters true to the time. So long as that remains the 'golden rule' it will keep all of us in check.

I personally find it too difficult to develop a character in an environment that is too controlled since one often needs to manipulate a supporting cast in order to write a scene.

I look forward to learning more about the setting.
Back to top Go down
Sir_Easy

Sir_Easy

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 5:45 am

ALCON

Sin and I are working on the setting/plot and rules page.. Seeing everyone is interested...if theres something you would like to see added to the storyline pass it on to us....
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 9:12 pm

Sweet, Sir Easy. I love the name Shady Gulch. Sounds totally cool. As you know I like maps, they have their uses but initially they are not really needed. A good thing to do is to start a post in the 'Theme' topic, to document locations anytime someone mentions them. People can then easily peruse the information and remind themselves where say, the bank may be located in relation to 'Sunset Sally's Saloon'. If the town ends up being a setting that stays for a few chapters and just about all the buildings have been mentioned in the story I could whip up a map at that point according to the information at hand.

I suggest you start that post, then you will have the ability to edit it. As an Admin I can add stuff to it as well when ever needed regardless of who created it.

Fire off that there six gun when you wanna get this rodeo started!
Back to top Go down
Sir_Easy

Sir_Easy

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 4:18 am

Ok...glad you like the name

...I'm still pretty new to doing a rules page and I think im going to need help with this. Sin rewrote some of this cuz my sentences were too long winded and should be shorten. So I'll need some help from you guys and gals here... Do you have a standard bio template? I started my character in on the BIO page as well just need to put together a basic story/background on my character ok...

Rules for GamePlay in Spurs and Six Guns:

A Free-Form collaborative writing story with romantic notations

1) Make a bio for your character. Clothing, weaponary, modes of transportation, etc. must be historically correct.

2) If you create a Chinese character then remember that they were the ones during this era who did laundry, worked on the railroad, and served in houses as maids and cooks. The same applies if you portray a Native American, African American, etc. Remember what timeline we are in and make your character to fit.

3) Gunfights will happen in this story, so be prepared. Only rifles, shotguns, and six shooters are allowed. WEAPONS MUST FIT THE TIMELINE!!!

4) Hand to hand fighting will happen in this story as well. Bar room or in the gold mines fighting may include bottles, bowie knifes, small pocket guns or a stick of TNT. WEAPONS MUST FIT THE TIMELINE!!!

5) Indians used straight/curved bows...no cross or compound bows. WEAPONS MUST FIT THE TIMELINE!!!

6) There will be no GodModding here. If you want to go up against another player then do so with respect to that player. You do not head out into the street, write your page with the ending being that you've gunned down the other player.

7) Modes of Transportation are of the old west. Stage Coach, horse and buggy, horseback, walking, etc. Transportation must fit the timeline!!

Cool The setting is west of the Mississippi, somewhere in Arizona. The Civil War is going on back east, but out here, people are concerned with surving, panning for gold, the railroad, ranching, outlaws, etc.

9) And for Pete's sake, have fun!!! Follow the storyline and timeline. And don't be afraid to ask questions if you're not sure.

10)

Map? Thats great...

I have a map builder but its an old program on a 3.5" diskette. So agreed...I'll start working on the location of all the buildings in the town of Shady Gulch and in Coyote hills...only thing I will mentioned for now is where the jail is in relation to the bank. Then you can make a map of Shady Gulch...maybe the distance between towns for one detailed map and then maybe another larger map of the arizonia territory? What do you think?

SIDE NOTE: DRAGON storyline MAP
Spoke to Sin on adding more detail to her Dragon story map as well, so after i send her some added details on a pdf file for her review and she makes more changes. We'll get that to you as well. Sin is looking to add the past and present compounds in addition to some new areas i'd like to add for future writings; If the other writers would like to add more detail to her dragon map...pls let them know as well.

Easy
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 7:03 am

I need to edit my character bio if the Civil War is still going on. So the time line is 1860 to pre 1865 correct?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC   SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SPURS N SIX GUNS - OOC
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next