Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling

Collaborative Storytelling • A Writer's Sanctuary • Multi-Genre RPG

Main  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Under the Bridge  Grimnir's Inn  RegisterRegister  BLOG  Log inLog in  

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 JohnnyBanner

Johnny took Carla's coat and handed it to Tom. He then removed his own and handed it to Tom as well. Tom nodded softly and spoke, "I will send Jenna over immediately Mr. Portsman."

"Thank you Tom."

He slipped the man a tip, and though Carla couldn't be sure it looked like a hundred. Johnny took Carla's hand and helped her into her seat, then sat down across from her and smiled as she asked her question, "Well, business, but I never relegate my visits to avoid pleasure. After all, if one did so then one wouldn't meet ladies such as yourself now would they?"

he had a confidence to him, even though he looked like he couldn't be more then 25 or 26 he was confident well beyond those years. Anticipating her next question he simply offered the information, "I own Echo-dat, we build sophisticated tracking and data software used by many financial institutions around the world. We are based out of Cupertino, California. We do a lot of business with Apple so it made sense to headquarter there. We do a substantial amount of work for their iOS software. I realize it is only an hour away from here but when I have to be in town for more than a day I tend to just stay, it's a great little city San Francisco. As is the typical software start up story, I dropped out of Dartmouth half way though my junior year, once I knew the software had some marketable durability and traction... I haven't looked back since. As of last year when the IPO was offered the company was worth 1.7 billion, now we are worth about four times that."

He spoke as if he knew exactly what she wanted to hear, and before she could respond Jenna arrived and introduced herself, "Hi there, I'm Jenna." She was looking at Carla. Turning to Johnny she spoke, "Good to see you again Mr. Portsman, your usual?"

"Yes please, a double."

"Very good, and for the lady?"

She turned to Carla who ordered her drink and as Jenna tapped her pencil on her pad Johnny spoke, "Top shelf for her drink please."

Jenna smiled and nodded, "Of course Mr. Portsman."

"Oh, and can you bring some of those rib eye wrapped shrimp?"

Jenna smiled and with a nod left to fill the ticket. Johnny turned to Carla and smiled confidently as he spoke, "I suppose I should have asked if you were a vegetarian before I ordered that, if you are I apologize and we can get you an appetizer you would prefer, if not these are delicious, I can guarantee you will love them."
Back to top Go down
http://www.zinsk.com
Zack
Watchman
Watchman
Zack

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 5:12 pm

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Dietrich_zps57091a19
"Seems you made a friend." His look was almost blank as he followed the waiter a rather unusual manner for Dietrich who was infected with smiles and boundless laughter at times as he quickly turned back to Lilly no wanting to be rude or miss what she was saying. "She somewhat invited herself when she found out I could play the cello." Chuckling as she told him that she didn't want to eat alone. "The more the merrier...though if anyone sat at the table we might be squeezed for space for plates." Chuckling about his order when she asked what they could do he put a hand to his beard in somewhat deep thought.

"We should be ok with the two of us exploring, I'm sure we could take the evil ones in full force." Laughing a little as he sounded more like an author for a crazed book than one of the Elder Races but it meant their cover was never blown as he shrugged a little. "What is their in Sanni Fran, though?" As he began to pitch back the chair the waiter placed his first dish in a hurry gasping a breath of relief as the creaking chair came back on its four supports. "Should I wait for yours?" She shook her head very quickly guessing it would be a while with all the food he ordered and better for him to start.

He began his great journey of food as different cuisines were set in front of him from different origins but it all disappeared with hum's of approval as conversation was varying they learned a little about each other again this time expanding upon his family tree it seemed small for what she expected from the jolly Norseman but that cold edge to him she wondered what his sisters would be like as he mentioned he had three of them all trained in the verses of sword rather than axe and the bow was a respected weapon. He finally patted his belly as the last plate was placed on a teetering stack the waiter slow to collect them.

"That filled a good spot." As he poured some of the huge jug of beer he had requested into a glass she had been staring at his consumption to remember her own food as she came out the 'hypnosis' and he looked around observing the people with casual interest answering any question she may have if they weren't too ... 'deep', replying to her conversation as she didn't bring up Magic often it was a much more... Comfortable situation as he smiled to Lilly.
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 LQUnhE

Carla tittered at Johnny’s considerations about whether or not she was vegetarian.

“I was vegetarian for about half a year, but that was probably just me rebelling and less about animal welfare. So I think I will have some of these shrimp to see if I can trust your word.” She said and smiled.

“Kind of hard to believe I’m sitting across from the owner of a multi-billion dollar company.” She then said, “My family isn’t exactly poor, but it’s hard to measure up to such success. I can tell you spare no expense on the good things in life, but how are you supposed to spend the rest of your billions?” She wondered while at the same moment their drinks arrived.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 4:22 pm

He laughed softly and spoke, "Fact is I don't know... I did not grow up privileged, my dad was a blue collar steel working from Pittsburg, my mom stayed home with the five kids. I got lucky. I take care of them now, basically forced my dad to retire, but to be perfectly honest I do enjoy what I have, and I have nice things, but I have never really thought about how to spend my money. I realized that I had a good idea, made it happen, worked hard. My parents were furious when I dropped out of school, especially after I worked so hard and got into a prestigious school. Dartmouth was not for me though, everyone was so stuffy and judgmental. I suppose in the sense of American society I am successful as you put it, but I don't know... I guess I just did something when I saw I had a chance, and it worked out well."

Jenna returned with their drinks and smiled without a word as she handed them over. She turned and gave Carla a sideways glance before returning to her duties. Johnny caught it and saw that Carla had too, "Pay her no mind, I took her out on a date about six months ago, it didn't work out past one night. She's a nice gal, don't get me wrong, but we just didn't have enough in common."

He sipped his drink and smiled at her, "So, tell me about where you are from?"
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 11:25 am

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 KimikoBanner

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 LexyBanner

"Lexy..."

Lexy shifted and squinted her eyes, her body refused to wake that easily.

"Lexy..."

A gentle touch on the shoulder and Lexy moaned softly in protest, but shifted and opened one eye just enough to berate whomever had woken her. It was not her sister but Kimiko who's face she saw, and with a start she sat up and looked around.

"Easy Lexy, I was just coming to check on Sionn, and you."

Lexy smiled and tucked her tussled hair behind her ear as she cleared her throat, the flushness in her cheeks receded rapidly as she gained her composure, "Well, before I fell asleep he was the same."

She turned and looked at him. His face was pale and his skin still had the green tinge of someone not doing great. Furrowing her brows she spoke as she exhaled a sigh, "Apparently nothing has changed since... wait, what time is it?"

Kimiko smiled and sat, "1:45"

Lexy shook her head at herself and spoke, "I was out for almost two hours, last I checked him was at noon."

Kimiko smiled and spoke calmly, "It is normal, given the amount of magic you were using to work on him."

Lexy nodded, "I suppose, but I need to stay awake."

Kimiko smiled sympathetically and responded, "We always think that when we begin our journey into magic, but you can't fight your body. In time you will learn to channel without the need for frequent rest, but for now, don't fight it, it's all part of the process."

Lexy smiled and took the cloth out of the wash basin, squeezing it tightly to get all the excess water out. She dabbed Sionn's forehead but said nothing, at least not with her mouth. Kimiko watched her and spoke, "When did he wrong you?"

Lexy turned with a start and wide eyed, "What?"

Kimiko spoke again, softly, "When did he wrong you?"

Lexy cleared her throat and nervously fumbled with the damp cloth, "Well... he uh, he no wronged me, but we, or I found out a few months ago that he used my sister, as he has many women."

Kimiko nodded and spoke, "It is natural to have feelings in such matters, Sionn has been known among the races, especially the ladies, as being "who" he is. It is not any fault of your sisters that she fell to his charms, nor is it something you should hold onto, at least, not for now. Should it be addressed? Absolutely, but pick the time... during this crisis is not the time. Do you understand?"

Lexy smiled and nodded, "Aye... I understand."

Kimiko nodded and looked at Sionn, "I can't help but wonder however... what is the root of this ailment. It doesn't settle with me that it is merely lack of sleep that has him in such a state."

"Aye... I have the same thoughts."

Kimiko turned and with a soft smile, but serious stare spoke, "If anything changes, please let me know."

"Aye."
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 4:47 pm

While Johnny spoke so sensibly he still looked like he’d fit right in with the rich and famous. He wore fine clothes, he frequented upper echelon establishments and ate exquisite food. Why he’d even consider taking some bar floozy out on the town she would never understand. High class bar floozy, perhaps, but they were all the same in Carla’s mind.

With Johnny’s explanation of Jenna’s glance Carla shrugged it off, of course the two of them had lacked common ground, the fact it took him an evening at all was slightly saddening. But a sip from her cosmopolitan quickly cleared that all up.

“I grew up in Medford, Massachusetts. Just me and my parents. Well, mostly with my dad, mom passed away…. 8 years ago almost…” Carla lost herself in the memory for a moment but then swiftly continued, “But aside from that I had everything a girl could ask for. Dad’s an arms salesman, but nothing like Nicholas Cage in that movie or anything!” She quickly added, “It’s just like running any kind of office, as it turns out, dad just makes sure goods from the manufacturers gets to the customers. He kind of made it his life. When one of his two friends he set up the company with died, the other was so shaken he sold his shares to dad. He died of liver cancer, by the way.” People often imagined the man probably died during a deal gone wrong or something, but the truth was much less exciting and it was best to squish such fantasies immediately, “Dad on the other hand just started working even harder. I don’t think dad will leave the company alone even if he lived to be a 130. I have little love for guns though, but I guess you kind of get used to them.”

Though Johnny probably didn’t really want to hear about her father and his business, but it was a bit of a habit to always be seen as the daughter of. That’s generally how she was seen by her father’s business relations, as if she was some kind of prop almost. A part of dad’s appearance, akin to his tie. Look, here’s my beautiful and loving daughter, I’m such a great father you should buy my guns! Of course, Johnny didn't quite strike her like one of those people, perhaps he only shared his fine tastes with them but little else.

“But I sure won’t continue the family business, I can tell you that. I’m not entirely sure what I want to do or what my chance to success will be, I’m trying to figure that out. Exploring the world, doing good. You know.”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 4:57 pm

He was glad she didn't ask about Jenna, most women would have, the fact that she didn't was refreshing. She went on and on, but he seemed genuinely fascinated and kept his eyes locked on hers. As she started to wind down from the story of her origins he signaled to Jenna, she had already polished off her first cosmopolitan and without hesitation he saw that she was refilled.

"Arms dealer... that's not one you hear everyday. Personally I have never been much into guns myself, growing up in Chicago you tend to see them all the time in crime and when people are causing trouble. They say it's the shooter not the gun, but I have never heard of a drive by knifing."

He smiled at a well worn, out dated joke, but continued on after taking a sip of his scotch, "So, exploring the world. I guess it is safe to assume that is why you are here in San Francisco? Part of your West Coast experience?"
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 3:15 pm

“Oh, I know how you feel.” Carla said about the guns, “Father always said you might as well consider him a washing machine salesman… But with better margins.” She tittered.

“But yeah, father being surrounded by guns and people carrying guns does take some getting used to, luckily none of this takes place on the ‘streets’ or I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night.”

“Anyway…” Carla said and reached for her drink and then stopped for a moment, “These are really good.” She said and laughed, “I should probably not get carried away.”

“So… Right! West coast experience, that sounds about right. Actually…” She said as she considered being away from the hotel for a little while now, “I’m supposed to do some, uh, sightseeing with some other, you know, tourists from the hotel later today.”

Though she wasn’t all that eager to go back, she knew she would upset the others if she just ran off the entire afternoon with some charming fellow.

“Not that I’d ever dream of trading in your great company before enjoying my drink and these shrimp to the fullest.” She said and smiled kindly, hoping he wouldn’t consider it an insult. “Maybe you’ve even got some great suggestions for places to go and see? I’d love to hear it.”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 3:22 pm

He laughed and listened as she spoke, nodding warmly as she mentioned having to leave soon, "No... no apologies necessary. I completely understand. As for places to go, well you can't go wrong if you take a walk across the Golden Gate bridge. I did it the first time I came here, you get breathtaking views as long as there isn't any fog."

He smiled and sipped his drink again, "If that doesn't suit your fancy, you can always take a tour of Alcatraz Island."

He winked and looked at Jenna as she showed up with the rib eye wrapped shrimp. Instantly the air was filled with a delicious aroma and he smiled as he handed her a plate, "Have as many as you like, I can always get more if we need them."

As Jenna was about to leave he smiled and spoke, "One more for the lady, she doesn't want to go overboard and we'll probably be leaving after the appetizer so I want to make sure she gets one more."

He turned and smiled at Carla, "Please, enjoy."
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 3:44 pm

Johnny didn’t need to tell Carla twice to enjoy the shrimp, they looked absolutely delicious, nevermind the smell! Their taste too, she soon found out, was beyond outstanding. For a moment it was just her slowly chewing down while she made faces and noises that clearly indicated she was enjoying the appetizers.

“Mmmm.” She uttered as she used a napkin to make sure she wasn’t about to make a mess out of herself and then washed the shrimp down with a sip from her drink. She had intended to slowly and elegantly sit there sipping her drink and having stimulating conversation, but with a third drink on the way she had to do her part to keep it flowing or the others might really start to miss her.

“I think I’ll be coming here more often.” She thought given the great appetizers and drinks they served, surely the rest was top notch as well.

Before she went for another shrimp she said, “Alcatraz does sound like it would be exciting, I think I will make sure to go and pay it a visit. Have you visited?”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 3:58 pm

Johnny smiled as she enjoyed the appetizers, listening to her sounds of delight and chuckling to himself. She was so engrossed in the delicious taste that she hadn't even noticed he hadn't had a single one. Right as she finished her second drink Jenna was there with the third, replacing the empty glass with the freshly filled one.

Carla didn't even thank her, and Jenna walked away without seeming to mind, "I have been to Alcatraz, it's a wonderful tour actually, you'd be surprised to learn all the history of the island, even from before it was a prison."

She seemed to attempt and understand what he said, and he pondered the naivety of her, wondering how any of the Races had settled on HER as a traveling companion. She picked up the third drink and sipped, he smiled, and the effects of the sedative grabbed hold of her almost immediately. She looked up as her hand went loose and the glass fell, bouncing off the table and shattering on the floor. She hit the table with a thud and he shook his head softly as he stood up and walked over, grabbing the two pistols form the small of her back. Jenna walked over and he handed them to her, "See that Arawella gets these."

Jenna smiled deviously and looked at her, "What a waste of oxygen."

Johnny looked at Carla and spoke softly, "Perhaps, perhaps not. I can't imagine Arawela would want her if she was a complete waste of effort."

Jenna smiled deviously and laid a long kiss on Johnny before disappearing into the back of the restaurant. Johnny looked up at the two men who were sitting a couple tables away and spoke, "See that she is treated gently, Arawela wants her completely in tact and undefiled, do you understand?"

The two men nodded, one of them looking especially disappointed and they lifted Carla's limp body, and disappeared into the back of the restaurant. Johnny took his coat from Tom and slipped it on, "Thank you Tom." He handed the man another hundred dollar bill and spoke, "See that this is cleaned up will you?"

"Of course sir."

Johnny walked into the back of the restaurant, through the kitchen and out to a waiting car, "To the island."

The driver nodded and the car pulled out onto the main street.
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 3:08 am

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 The_li10Lilly noticed the way Dietrich watched the waiter and grew confused as to why. Usually Dietrich was smiling and joking with his dry humor, but this was just a blank stare and she could feel the animosity coming from him. But soon he was turning back to her and grinning again.

She watched as he finished everything he'd ordered, amazed at how much he'd eaten and she'd not yet touched her beef Manhattan. She ate her beef Manhattan, drank her sprite. Smiling, pushing the too big glasses back up her nose she smiled at him, the same waiter coming back and began flirting again.

"Did you enjoy your meal, Miss? If you like....I wouldn't mind showing you around our fair city if you wouldn't mind waiting until I get off in an hour?"

He was clearly ignoring the fact that she was sitting there with a huge Norseman who was all but glaring at him. She grinned.

"Aye...I would imagine ye could be showing me around yer fair city, lad.....but then where would tha' leave poor Dietrich 'ere? And.....tae' top it off....ye be just a might skinny tae' be protecting me out in yer fair city. I believe I will be lettin' Dietrich 'ere help me explore ye city."

She then removed the sunglasses and looked at the waiter with her odd swirling eyes. What happened next she'd not expected. He backed up a step, almost dropping the tray of her plates.

"You're a freak!!! Good God!!! Go with him...I wouldn't be caught dead with you!!"

He turned and all but ran back to the kitchen but his outburst had caused others to look at her as well as cut deeper than it should have. She slid the glasses back on but he would catch the sheen of tears, something that was not seen with Lilly.

"Come.....let's leave this dung hole. The foul stench turns me stomach."

The tiny Irishwoman scooted her chair back, lifted her head and removed the glasses again. Even though they shined with unshed tears, she would be damned if she would hide them now she'd decided as she turned her gaze onto the patrons staring at her, making them look away from her before leaving the restaurant.
Back to top Go down
Zack
Watchman
Watchman
Zack

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Dietrich_zps57091a19
Even his glares didn't reach the waiter his tenacity was.. appalling no maybe tenacious ah that seemed correct as he even rolled the steak knife from one of his meals on the table slowly but Lilly simply took the words with a pinch of salt and simply passed it back to him as she told him he was a little on the scrawny side for her.

But his reaction to her some subtlety would have been professional but the man just panic and said the words that almost had Dietrich grab him by the collar but that would mean leaving Lilly. He watched as she battled her emotions and finally came up with the bailing option of leaving.

"Right behind you Starsky." Then he frowned... that would make him Hutch and shook his head as they moved out the hotel restaurant only pausing to pick up the heavy cello case and follow her into the bustling street he glared at a man who almost walked straight into Lilly but stood in his tracks letting them pass him.

"Hardly seems fair or friendly." Then he remembered most cities weren't exactly hospitable as he sighed a little and looked across to her quickly smiling remember she was in a worse boat than him... ooo boat. That had him genuinely smiling as he took her hand as she looked lost in the with the big buildings around him and began to lead them down the street mostly at random but it gave them the lay of the land around their hotel.
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 5:31 pm

At first there was nothing. Not a sound, not a sight nor a smell. As if enveloped within a fog or a shroud. But through it all there came a rhythmic drumming and the faintest of lights.

Carla’s mind switched on, this was familiar. What exactly had happened or was at cause her thoughts had not yet been able to assemble, but she knew enough to grimace as her eyes fluttered open and quickly shut again. The drumming was her head thumping though the feint light was not mornings light seeping into the bedroom after a long night on the town. Her body ached and as she tried to move she noticed her arms and legs were being kept in place. She immediately gasped and tugged on her bindings, but it achieved nothing. The more she came to her senses the more she despaired.

This wasn’t a hangover and she wasn’t at home, all she knew now was that her head hurt, her mouth was dry, her body ached from lurching uncomfortably in a simple wooden chair to which she was bound, hands behind her back. Well, it took her a little while longer to figure out that last bit, but as soon as she dared to open her eyes the picture became quite clear. There she was, in a small dark room. No windows, just a small lantern hanging next to a passageway lighting her little dead end room ever so slightly. She was surrounded by old stone and mortar, the floor uneven and cobbled. And the air – ugh! The stalest her lungs had ever had to endure.

Though pointless, as she took in her surroundings she continued to tug at her restraints and grunted. Why was this happening to her? Her mind was still a bit foggy.

“Hello?” Carla nearly whispered with a shaking voice.

She’d been with a man, yes. She was quite sure of that.

“Hello?” She said again, gaining a bit more volume.

She still couldn’t think of a reason for her predicament, but her mind was definitely waking from its drugged state.

“J-Johnny?”

“Help.” She said with a whimper, less a request and more of a sad realization that she was in deep trouble.

Though as she said it she thought she heard something behind her; a movement, a noise of some sort.

Oh God, it better not be rats!
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 8:37 pm

The noise increased behind her, but only slightly. Johnny walked around and looked at her as he tucked his left hand into his pocket, his right hand rested on top of a ver ornate cane, "Oh dear, what have they done with you."

He tucked the cane under his arm and knelt down to look her in the eyes, "Well, at least they didn't defile you... tying you to a chair was not part of my instructions, so I do apologize about that."

She looked at him with fear and pleading, but his eyes lacked any sort of warmth or intention to release her from the chair, "I can not release you, so don't ask. That is up to the client."

She looked at him as he stood back up and he swung the cane down so that the bottom rested on the ground again. He leaned on it without the need for any assistance to stand and spoke, "She will be here shortly, you will need to ask her if you can be untied."

Carla's eyes glassed over with fear as he stared at her. He looked at her and smiled softly, "Don't worry your pretty little self Carla, if she wanted you harmed you would be already. Honestly I have no idea her intentions, but I have worked for her in the past and when a target is to be... eliminated, we eliminate it without prejudice. She was very explicit, you were to be completely unscathed, she wouldn't give that sort of instruction just to harm you herself."

He exhaled softly and looked her over, "I must admit, I am interested in hearing what she has planned."
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 8:35 am

My, my. ‘T was not a rat, ‘t was a wolf that appeared from the shadows.

Carla glared at Johnny, at first she couldn’t even see him straight, but she was really starting to snap out of whatever it was he had given her. She listened and looked, slowly beginning to shake with equal parts anger for Johnny and fear for what might come next.

For a lack of any real alternative she chose the offensive, “You’re lucky they tied me up or I’d be clawing your face off!” She barked at the wolf. The chair shook and wobbled. She actually had to hold herself back or she would topple over, but regardless, the whole thing probably looked ridiculous and weak. Johnny didn’t even flinch or so much as blink.

Carla huffed and breezed, her face red from the exertion and some strains of hair falling in front of her face. She decided to avert her gaze from Johnny, she would not indulge him further, it would do nothing except perhaps entertain him. If he had brought her here for someone, fine, she’d deal with this woman, not with her lapdog. Whoever it might be or for whatever reason. She wasn’t really anybody important, who gave a crap? What was her value? She had no enemies aside from her girlfriend rivals perhaps, but they couldn’t have done this.
But perhaps… Perhaps her new friends had enemies…
Now that was a frightful thought.
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 9:36 am

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Eba0k1

Kain had a nice but uneventful evening with his family. Though there was no sign of his father, but he decided not to fuss about it, surely his time would come in the morning. He was getting tired anyway, all this traveling across the globe had him continually guessing when it was time to eat and when it was time to sleep but sooner rather than later he had to cut his stories short and asked Sasha where he might sleep. Sasha had prepared a bedroom for him and guided him there.

“I’m sorry father wasn’t up for talking with you, Kain.” She said once they arrived.

“That’s alright, Sasha.” He replied, too tired to make much more out of it.

“I was with him for a little bit after dinner.”

“I noticed.” Kain said.

“I really wanted him to be lucid enough for you. I tried my best.” She said apologetically.

“I know.” He said, but at this point he just wanted to sleep.

“He did say one odd thing though…”

“Hmmm…?”

“Excidium.” Sasha said.

“What’s that?”

“I never heard father say it before, do you know what it means; excidium?” She wondered.

Kain shrugged, “Not a clue, I’m sure he says plenty of strange things when he’s not himself.”

“Maybe… But I was telling him about you when he suddenly looked me right in the eyes and said it, like it meant something.”

“I don’t know, Sasha. Maybe we’ll find out in the morning.” Kain said and ushered his sister out of the room. They exchanged good nights and Kain quickly went to sleep.

“Kain.”

“Kain.”

Kain slowly opened his weary eyes to see father lurching over him, shaking him. He remembered his father’s grey beard to be a bit better kept, but all the same he immediately recognized him.

“Wuh…?” He mumbled.

“Put some clothes on, we’re going for a walk.” Father told him.

It was still dark out and the house was quiet. Kain thought that this was perhaps a part of father’s confusion. But he didn’t sound confused, even if he made little sense.

“But…” He started.

“Quiet now, we don’t want to wake everyone. Come on, son, hurry up.”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 11:35 am

Johnny watched her as she spoke, and listened, but he did not seem entertained or even amused by her antics, he just seemed... neutral. He said nothing else, but he also stayed put and waited in the room, off to the side where Carla could have seen him had she made the effort, but he didn't seem to be there for any other purpose than to make sure she wasn't harmed in any way.

After about an hour voices could be heard from outside the room. Carla would most likely be able to ascertain that there was a hallway and a door directly behind her. The two female voice sounded more business like than pleasant, and then suddenly the door opened with a creak, clearly metal on metal. The footsteps split, one set to Carla's left and one to her right. Johnny stood and with a warm, loving smile stepped over and kissed the waitress from the bar, Jenna. Jenna looked at Carla but remained silent.

On the other side, a young and very well dressed woman stepped around and looked at Carla.

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 ArawelaBanner

"Hello Carla."

Her voice was cold, almost like ice was being poured down the spine, "My name is Arawela."

Johnny and Jenna left without a word and closed the door. Arawela looked at Carla and spoke softly, "I am going to untie you, there is no need for you to be so uncomfortable."

Her bright red lipstick caught what little light was in the room and refracted it, almost like the light was passing through rubies, "I assume you understand that if you do anything stupid I will kill you."

She gently lifted an eyebrow, and could see on Carla's face that she understood Arawela meant what she said. Arawela barely flicked a finger and the bindings that had Carla tied to the chair evaporated like smoke. Inhaling deeply Arawela reached out and a chair appeared from thin air, about three feet in front of Carla and she sat. Her voice was still cold but it was definitely pleasant, "Would you care for some wine? I always enjoy a glass of wine when getting to know someone."

A table appeared between then with a bottle of red wine and two empty glasses. She reached and touched the cork, it vanished. She poured herself a glass and then one for Carla. Leaning back she sipped her wine and looked at Carla over the rim of the glass. Her lipstick left a perfectly shaped, bright red imprint and she brought the cup down, "Carla, I have been watching you, I think, and please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you are mixed up in all this and not even sure why, or how it happened to you. There is an incredible amount of strength in you, like a kinetic ball of energy waiting to be unleashed, I am not even one hundred percent sure you are fully aware of it. I can tell you this however, a Punkie never chooses their companions lightly. If Kain has chosen to spend time with you, he clearly knows it is there too."

She sipped her wine again and spoke, "So, tell me Carla, what has you staying? Leaving your home in Massachusetts, leaving a social scene that you clearly miss being a part of... what keeps you around? Why have you chosen to take the part of the McGhees and the MacGregors? Because if it is really an adventure you want, I can show you so much more."

It was strange how she said the last bit. It was clearly an invitation, but to what end? Arawela sat, saying no more, simply watching Carla and waiting to hear what the young human girl had to say.
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 3:36 pm

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 The_li10Standing out on the busy sidewalk made Lily realize that she was way out of her element. Even when traveling with the O'Neil brothers and their circus she tried to steer clear of the big cities. Not only because of her eyes but also her size. She was tiny...only five feet and one inch tall and while she was a master at the knives she didn't want to carve anyone up just for bumping into her or running her over. But she was thankful Dietrich was there for she didn't miss the looks he'd cast the waiter at his outburst and her heart that she thought belonged to Sionn warmed even more towards Dietrich. It did so again when she caught the glare to the man on the sidewalk who'd all but run her down in his hurry but when Dietrich took her small hand into his much larger one she felt a tingle run up her arm and wondered at it but then pushed it to the back of her mind as he walked with her, making sure to keep himself between her and anyone who would miss her because of her size. She smiled....he was keeping her safe and from harm. It felt....good.

"Dietrich....Dietrich!!! Where ye be takin' me? Where are we goin' tae'?", she all but hollered at him over the noise of the cars and people, wondering just what he was doing. "We cannae be gone too long...plans must be gone over."
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 EanBanner

Ean managed to get Aurora out of the hotel and into the city. He could tell she was a little uncomfortable, and frankly he was too. Scotland tended to be much less crowded, unless of course you went to Edinburgh or Glasgow, but he rarely went to those cities. They did find the place fairly welcoming however, even though they didn't completely "match" their environment, the people were friendly.

They found a pier teaming with people and restaurants with a large sign, "Fisherman's Wharf... I have heard of this place, supposed to be really good."

He squeezed her hand and they walked until they found a nice restaurant on the water, Franciscan Crab. He turned and looked at her, "Come on, let's get something to eat and just be normal for the rest of the day."

With a wink he opened the door and they walked in. They were greeted warmly and brought to a table on the water. Looking out across the bay at all the boats, ships and vessels Ean smiled, "I always wondered what it was like to live a life on the water. I am no sure it would be for me, but we have family way back in our line that made their living on the water..."

He turned and looked at her again, her eyes locked on him. He smiled and reached across, grabbing her hand knowing that these quiet moments were fleeting and soon they would be fighting for their lives, fighting for the world. It was a lot to think about, but he was attempting to bring what normalcy he could before it happened. He was new at this however, never having really "dated" per say, so he was doing the best he could.

After a moment a man approached and spoke, "Hello, I am Thomas and I will be taking care of you today. Can I get you started with anything to drink?"
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 3:54 pm

The moment her hands and feet were freed Carla felt an incredible urge to bolt, but she mustered enough courage to remain seated and face one of the dreaded druids. Her heart raced as she heard her introduce herself; Arawela she had said.
Carla didn’t even really know anything about the Poe’s except for the few things she had caught while the others talked about the subject, and she hadn’t seen either of the two druids either, since she and Kain arrived at the scene after they had done their dirty work and left. The druid didn’t really look all that imposing, sure, she had an air around her and a creepy look in her eyes. But she did not look menacing and chose to charm instead of intimidate. Regardless, there could be no doubt that she was extremely dangerous and she would do as Arawela said.
She would play along.
She had to play along.

She looked as furniture appeared out of thin air, a kind of magic she was not expecting, but aside from her eyes growing wide she remained still and when she got wine offered to her she nodded lightly. She’d prefer a glass of water, but any form of liquid was welcome at this point, so she might as well be polite and accept the mysteriously appearing wine.
As Arawela alluded to her reason for being caught up in all of this was Kain choosing her for some kind of innate power she held she couldn’t help but mutter his name. What connected the two of them. What was it with these punkies, really?

“Kain…” She softly muttered almost unintelligibly due to her dry mouth. The others often brought up that there was something special about her, Erich had suggested some possible Elar’uma blood mixed into her veins, but she rejected the thought. She refused to believe she was any better than any other human being, even if her choice to get involved was unusual. They were not used to people like her getting involved and undervalued the strength and worth of a human, she thought. But whatever the truth, as long as she appeared of interest she could probably stay alive.

But as Arawela continued she also spoke of the two families most deeply involved and some of her history. The latter she no doubt heard from Johnny, or that stupid floozy of his, who apparently wasn’t actually a waitress, but she could have fooled her. Stupid woman…
Anyway…. Where she got the rest of her information about the group Carla did have to wonder. How much did the druids know about all of them? It would be interesting to learn, especially what they knew of Kain, since not even the others seemed to know all that much about him. Would Arawela know where he had gone and why? Perhaps she’d get a chance to ask at one point.

Arawela’s assessment of her motivations seemed a bit lacking though, but before she could speak she needed to lubricate with a good swig of wine.
Hmmm…. Pretty good for magic wine…

“Adventure? Maybe.” She answered, “Though I think it’s the magic. At first I was deathly afraid of everything; the powers, the people. But there’s something irresistible about it. I do miss my old life, but I would never go back to it.”

The part about feeling the need for some kind of human participation in these events and her desire to protect innocent lives she kept out of it. That’s not something Arawela would have cared for, she’d expect.

“But that’s just me. I’m not sure what any of you want with me, you or the McGreggors. Why would you show me anything?”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Arawela smiled and nodded as Carla mentioned how the 'magic' was irresistible. With a new lilt in her voice Arawela swirled the wine in her glass absentmindedly as she looked eye to eye with Carla and spoke, "I don't think I could appropriately put into words how intoxicating magic is Carla. It is far beyond any physical pleasure you have ever felt, beyond any touch, or feeling. When the glowing warmth of the source enters you and moves through your veins and your bones... well you simply and immediately begin to crave it more and more."

She smiled again, this time it was almost an erotic smile, not directed at Carla but something further. She looked like a woman viewing the object of her lust, hungry and ready to devour it. Arawela sipped her wine again and spoke softly as Carla asked her question. Carla was telling her more than she had anticipated this early in the conversation, most didn't open up so freely right after being kidnapped. It intrigued her to say the least, truly the fear threshold in Carla was low, this was a woman who Arawela suspected could face a storm if she needed to, even though she hadn't wanted to be mixed in all this, she was, and she embraced it, finding how she could fit in... she hadn't run away screaming and slinging her high heels into the wind, she had found a way to stay. That much was clear, Arawela knew enough to surmise Carla was staying by her own free will, she might still be trying to figure out the "why", but she wasn't leaving, she was sticking around to figure things out.

"A woman can always use more allegiances in her life Carla, that would be one reason I would be willing to expand your mind and tap into the power within you. Of course, I don't have any sort of mind reading ability or clairvoyance into what may or may not be locked inside you. The truth of the matter is I don't know myself, but as I said, Punkies don't chose their adventures or their companions haphazardly, there is a purpose and a reason to everything they do. I suspect no one has explained much about the Races to you, who we are and WHAT we are. That too can come with time and conversation."

She sipped her wine and looked at Carla again, this time her eyes were searching, almost as if she was trying to see into Carla's spirit, "Also... I don't really know any humans. I was raised in a very isolated environment, like most of the Races. Call it a mutual curiosity, you want to know more about us, and conversely, I wouldn't mind knowing more about your people. There is knowledge that can be shared on both ends of this adventure, should we chose to pursue it together."
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 9:24 am

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 AuroraBannerAurora finally conceded and let Ean get her out of the hotel, but she was unused to being around so many people and her hand held his much larger one with a tight grip but soon she began to relax, realizing that being with her much larger Scotsman....well, she was probably the safest woman in the whole city.  

He found the pier and then a place to eat, her dark eyes taking in everything including the smell of the ocean.  She was loving it and it showed when they sat down to eat. She smiled warmly to Thomas, their waiter, who while was respectful kept glancing at Aurora and her dusky beauty from the corner of his eye.  The last thing he wanted to do was anger the huge man she was with but he couldn't keep his eyes off of her.  

Aurora didn't even notice Thomas was discreetly watching her as she tried to decide what to order.  She'd never had seafood before so she decided to get the appetizer plate and try a little bit of everything, grinning at Ean.  It felt so good to be doing something so mundanely normal and her eyes told him so.  

She turned to look out the window they were sitting next to, watching as people hurried about although it seemed that here on the pier they'd slowed down just a little.  The appetizers arrived and her stomach grumbled loudly making her blush but she picked up a crab cake, dipped it into the garlic butter and popped it into her mouth.  Her eyes closed as she made a pleasurable sound, soon grabbing for another.  She decided that she was in love with the crab cakes the most and ordered a plate of them.  Aurora wasn't the type of young woman who didn't eat what she liked simply because she might lose her figure....she had a healthy appetite and with her exercise and training she knew she had nothing to worry about as she thoroughly enjoyed her meal with Ean.

"All too soon this will just be a dream, won't it, Ean?  All too soon the battle will begin and lines will be drawn deep", she said to him a low voice.  She sighed, looking up at him and smiling.  "But what a dream we can carry into battle, love."

They'd left Beau back at the hotel while Eryn was flying about keeping a watch, not wanting to upset the city folk too much walking around with a giant timber wolf.  Beau wasn't happy about it but he understood especially with the promise of a few raw rib eye and New York strip steaks.  But he knew something was off.....something had happened within the hotel but it was only instincts speaking to him right now still, he couldn't shake the sense that evil had entered the hotel and it carried a very subtle hint of Arawela.

Aurora finished her crab cakes, sitting back as she wiped the garlic butter from her chin, "Oh my...that was almost heaven, Ean."  She'd noticed that he'd said nothing about the kiss she'd given him and wondered if she'd gone too far in following what her womanly instincts told her to do and she looked away from him, knowing that he would see something bothered her in her expressive dark eyes.  Perhaps she needed to back away a bit, she thought to herself.  Her mama had told her once that men raised like her father were old souls and needed to initiate the advances.  It would not be easy for she was finding that she was a passionate woman but she would do whatever it took to make Ean happy, if this is what he was wanting during their engagement period. 

Looking out the window again, she sighed, resting her chin in the palm of her hand her elbow on the table as she watched the people.
Back to top Go down
Kutsu Shita
Awesome
Awesome
Kutsu Shita

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 10:04 am

“I never thought you’d be eager to learn about people like me…” Carla responded and pondered a moment. Clearly they knew more about humans than the other way around, but it made sense for them to not really understand what makes them tick. It depended on how isolated Arawela had been, but there was always some insight she would be able to offer. But it was a pretty odd reason to have her taken.

An exchange of knowledge couldn’t possibly be the reason for them to take her. She was hardly the only resource on humanity available, even if she had the advantage of already knowing about the races to some degree. Arawela must truly believe she possessed something valuable…. This power she offered to tap into, perhaps?

“There are a lot of things I don’t understand, but it’s hard to know what questions to ask. Perhaps you feel the same way about humans?” Carla wondered, trying to understand Arawela’s curiosity towards her and her kind. “You know, from what I’ve been told about Punkies, I’m getting the feeling even your kind doesn’t know everything about them. You’re right, no one has explained who or what you are, but do you really know what Punkies are?”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 11:48 am

She watched every inflection on Carla's face, every twitch of body motion or change in her voice. She smiled and spoke, "Well, we do share the same planet Carla, doesn't it seem to you that we SHOULD know about one another? I suppose that the real difference is we know about humans, but humans do not know about the Races... generally speaking of course."

She looked at Carla with reflective eyes and continued, "The Races have kept their identity secret primarily because humanity can't be trusted with too much knowledge of how things work. The atomic bomb is a perfectly good example of that. The knowledge of atomic level behaviors was shared by accident and look what it birthed. Sure there are power plants that help your populations, but the primary exploitation of that unveiling has been weaponry which has caused mass death and destruction."

She nodded softly and responded to Carla, "Punkies are the most secretive of the Races. They are very purposeful and deliberate, we all are to an extent, but they are almost to a fault. It is understandable given the unique nature of their blood however."

As Carla looked at her curiously Arawela immediately understood that she had no clue what she was referring to, "Punkies, like your friend Kain, carry every memory of every ancestor that preceded them. They are born with adult minds and can fully function from the moment they are born. They are still weak physically, and do have to stumble about and grow up a little before finding their place in the world, however they immediately approach the world differently as they have to learn very little in order to become part of society, instead they simply add to the memories and experiences that they themselves will someday pass on. They are also unique in that there are no Punkie half bloods, one is either a Punkie or they are not. If two Punkies have a child then their child will be of the same race, but if a human was to have a child with a Punkie, that child will either be Punkie or human, it will not be a fifty-fifty mixture. This is not the case with the other Races. Punkies are also the most intelligent of our kind, they are calculating, deliberate, precise and certain in everything they do before they do it... but of course there can be exceptions to this, again I am generalizing for the sake of educating you."

Arawela set her cup down and folded her hands neatly in her lap, "As you are probably beginning to realize, we don't know as much about Punkies as we do about ourselves, meaning the Fara and Elar'uma, because they tend to not be so open as we are, and gaining the trust of a Punkie is usually a lifelong pursuit. They understand the vast amounts of knowledge they possess, and having that kind of knowledge means having that much power. One must be very careful when transferring power to another."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame   Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ch 10 - Moth to the Flame
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling :: MIDGARD - Earth bound stories :: Ever...-
Jump to: