Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling

Collaborative Storytelling • A Writer's Sanctuary • Multi-Genre RPG

Main  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Under the Bridge  Grimnir's Inn  RegisterRegister  BLOG  Log inLog in  

CTHULHU OOC Discussion

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
subbear

subbear

CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 9:35 pm

I am in for the Egypt line. I feel that Frankie is gonna hang with Callum, he is all out of money and friends in his old life so now he is open to the next adventure. I think that Frankie will have some knowledge of the occult, perhaps an old uncle or aunt knew of the Mythos and taught Frankie some basic lore when he was much younger back home in Ireland. He took it with a grain of salt back then but now this stuff will come back around to be of great importance.

I agree totally with Tiph, we will be doing a lot of clashing with the followers of Cthulhu and the lesser monsters, to be in the presence of Cthulhu or the other 'Old Gods' or to look upon them is a mind destroying fate worst than death(although I feel that visions of the old ones are rare but could happen like with Bea). When I played in the Cthulhu system the 'investigators' were always encountering the priests and priestesses of the old gods and the rabid and fanatical followers of these monsters. It was said that when Cthulhu has enough followers that his power would be restored and he would come back and claim our world.

Oh and to make things even spookier, many times people that are attacked or killed by these lesser creatures linger on in a zombie like state, their minds and bodies all but destroyed...so there's that too.

Very happy to see Contrary sniffing around...
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 9:45 pm

As Tiph pointed out, if Bea DID see Cthulu in her nightmare/otherworld dream, she is going to be freaked out, quite a bit. I'm going to write a post where she does some more freaking out and end up sending her on her way to Egpyt in the next few days. I'm thinking of playing her on the brink of insanity, as far as the world outside her mind thinks anyway. She will lose a lot of credability and her reputation will suffer some tarnishes because of it.

I'll play it off that she returns to Egypt thinking it's a safe haven, away from those horrid, pustular creatures she witnessed and horrific insects that bit into her flesh in her nightmare when she was digging in Guatemala. She wants to run away from these things as quickly as she can and her money will allow her to travel to Egypt and that's about it.

Once in Egypt, she will need to earn an income to at least sustain herself. A minor site dig where she can more or less be away from as many people as she can is right up her ally. SHe will need SOMEONE to help keep her grounded in the here and now and remind her she's got a job to do. It will be difficult for the assistant or who ever it is since she will remain tight lipped about the whole thing in Guatemala until something else happens o prove to her she's not going crazy and what she saw WAS real if it were allowed to enter into her world.

Thus, we open up the story line of where she will learn to combat the mythos through a series of trial and errors but that will be well into the story line.

So, Contrary, bring on the character you would like to add to the story line and give poor Bea someone she can tell her insane ramblings to.

MWA HA HA HA HA HA
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 10:04 pm

Well put Sub Bear, so you were a table top Cthulhu player as well eh?

RPM, here's the thing. When someone see's something of the Mythos that threatens their sanity, they actually become more in tune with the Mythos itself. Bea, may very well develop insights into the Mythos or that other world may temporarily become visible in some way.

I believe that Egypt being such an ancient part of the world will harbor much about the Mythos and Bea in her present state may somehow be drawn more into the world even as she tries to pull herself away from it.

The creatures of the Mythos have been around for millions of years and in reality much of their world has become entwined with ours.
Back to top Go down
http://darkoak.org
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 9:38 am

The next few posts I'm doing for Bea will span a time frame of about a month. It will take Callum and Frankie about that long to put clues together and for them to get to Egypt. I won't post them all in one day. I'll post it over time to be in line with Callum and Frankie's time frame so everyone will be in place when the time comes to introduce the characters to each other.

It will give me tme to build her character and add some reader insight as to why she acts so bizarre at times.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 10:18 am

WOOHOO!!!!

Contrary is in da house!!!!

Come on in and join the fray....bound to get interesting with a Mickey, a Highlaner, A Brit and now a savvy New Yorker.

LOL

Ain't nuttin' but fun gonna come out of this hodge podge.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:19 am

So... just to give some insight. Frankie and Callum's dire situation, isn't really so. I set that up, because I wanted the characters to get to Egypt quickly and a magical transport, like teleportation or a gate seemed appropriate.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am

SCHWEET!!!

Now we can get to work on writing for this story.

*rubs hands together and thinks of how to get everyone together*
Back to top Go down
subbear

subbear

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Sounds good!
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 9:50 am

Soon as I get my butt in gear I'll write that post and we can get on with Egypt. Been paintin' a room... what a pain.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 3:32 pm

I detest painting.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Oh, yes. If there is a stronger word, that is how I would describe it. Oddly enough though, I like the masking... wish I could just be the masker.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Re-named this story since it is not exclusively CTHULHU. Just leaving the door open for all kinds of supernatural stuff.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 11:33 am

Hello Jashim... we usually keep questions like these in the OOC topics that have been created, and do not create other topics for their discussion in the story forums.

JashimChando wrote:

Are there any true belivers in the Cthulhu mythos?

I am a huge Lovecraft fan, but I know it is only fiction. Im wondering is there anyone out there that actually worship any of the gods in Cthulhu mythos? If so which ones? Please explain your faith in what to most is just Sci-fi / horror.

Horror Video Game

I am obsessed with survival horror video games and I heard of one today that they made on Gamecube but for the life of me I cannot remember the name. It is a game based around the HP Lovecraft Mythos and I know its not Call of Cthulhu Dark corners of the earth, I loved that game on Xbox and I would have known thats what the guy was talking about. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I remember he said something about it being really rare or something like that and that it was much scarier than Call of Cthulhu although still about Lovecrafts stories. Please help me I want to get this game!

Arkham Horror game and casting spells?

Hello. I love the board game, Arkham Horror and there is one thing I am a bit confused with when playing it. When an investigator casts a spell, I understand that they have to make a spell check using their 'Lore' as the skill to succeed. What I am curious is upon casting the spell. For a common item weapon, say the 'Shotgun', you add the amount of the dice of the shotgun plus your 'fight' when doing a combat check. You do any modifications and bang you roll the dice. For spells however, do you also add your 'fight' to the particular spell? For instance, I cast 'Wither' which gives me +3 to my combat checks...Do I also add the value of my 'fight' skill with that +3 upon successfully casting the spell or do I only attack the monster with a +3 for a combat check?

Second question. I have a character that is in the general store, and either the terror level goes up to a certain point or a mythos card comes up that closes the general store. Do I have to go out to the street? If a monster is in there does he have to go out to the street? (not unstable so can't happen, but what if) If a gate is there what happens? If a gate later opens there what happens? That should be about it, thanks for your time.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 11:51 am

Lovecraft wove an exceptional mythology in his writings. He added a dimension of realism because he entwined his own 'mythos' with those that exist in the real world. In a sense, he invented a new mythology and if you're one that believes that the existence of gods is based upon belief and worship then Lovecraft's deities can be just as real as Greek, Norse... etc, pantheons.

The movie 'In the Mouth of Madness', which was based upon Lovecraft's writing was an excellent depiction of an author's world becoming reality.

I have never tried the video game, but I have a friend how enjoys playing the Arkham Horror board game. I myself cannot comment on your questions, however, as I do not play the game.

The current story in this forum is loosely based on Cthulhu.
Back to top Go down
Contrary

Contrary

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi guys!

Wow this place could use some dusting...look at all these cobwebs! Wink

Anyways, I have a post for Cthulhu! It will be up in a few minutes. How exciting! However, I also put words in your characters mouths. I did this because I felt otherwise this scene might go on for a good long time, when it could be played out a little more quickly. I didn't want to do the WHOLE introduction, but I did want to get us all together in the same room (er, tomb).

That said, if you feel I misrepresented your character in anyway, or if anything doesn't sit right with you, please feel absolutely free to request an edit! We can do any number of things--we could chop my post short and continue with someone else, you could let me know what you feel a more accurate response would be and I could rewrite with that in mind, etc, etc. It is a pretty short scene and I would have absolutely no hard feelings. I would hate to think anyone was annoyed at the way their character was portrayed--that's the worst!

Thanks everyone,

Like a Star @ heaven Contrary
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 7:29 pm

CONTRARY'S IN THE HOUSE!!!

LOL

We trust ya, sugar. You're writing has been outstanding thus far so there's no reason to think you can't handle this.

And truth be told, I, personally, was waiting for you to return. I knew you must have gotten busy.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 8:11 pm

Don't ever be afraid of manipulating other characters. Frankly, if one finds the need to do so, they are naturally going to make their best effort to roughly maintain the personalities of those characters, so, no worries. Honestly at times it is near impossible not to manipulate other characters. The way I have always seen it is that there are two distinct types of collaborative writing.

1. The writer who sticks to their own characters and writes everything from the perspective of that character.

2. The story writer who maintains there character(s) plus takes opportunities to write the story and move other characters along.

I personally really like type 2. I think it's totally cool when my character is pulled along with the story... it is plainly put... natural.
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Deleted the EXTRAMUNDANE character and ooc topics. There's not really a need for them.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Dude...I'm so totally going to join ExtraMundane

Just gimme a chance to think of a character.
Back to top Go down
Contrary

Contrary

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks for the trust and support guys!

So, great story...right after I saved that post, I pulled up and started editing my segment (you know, all the bolds, italics, etc that you don't do in Word)...and then my cat leapt onto the power strip, and turned off everything. affraid And then it wouldn't restart. And then it would restart, but wouldn't boot from the hard drive. And then we got it to boot from the hard drive, but couldn't get past the windows loading screen. confused That is just the kind of day I have been having.

So then I let it sit for an hour, and sent the husband in to turn it on...which worked quite well. And now I'm hoping I get to edit and post this guy...but I feel like promising anything at this point would just jinx me big time.

Argh computers...love/hate/love/hate/love/hate!!!! LOL!
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 9:06 pm

spawn

Computers are evil.

They're just a fad. They'll go away one day.

But in the meantime, we can use the old ones for target practice. machine gun

At least that's what I do. Have you ever seen what a well placed .9MM bullet does to s computer screen? Or the well placed bullet from a 30-06 does to a desktop????

It's beautiful....absolutely beautiful.

My next computer will be AR-15 target practice. I can't wait.

bounce
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 9:21 pm

BRAVO CONTRARY! BRAVO!

You did a GREAT job.

Now THAT is how you move other folks' charcters along in a story line.

It's great to have you back writing with us again. I can't wait to delve into this story again. I'll give Tiph a chance to post before I do anything.
Back to top Go down
Contrary

Contrary

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 9:27 pm

One: Clearly, I have got to get myself a gun. What a Face

Two: Very Happy thanks! It feels so nice to write again. ^_^ I love you
Back to top Go down
Tiphereth

Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 1:39 am

So it looks like we might eventually be heading into the 'Dream Lands'. I have a few books on them and they will prove to be quite interesting. The characters will first need to find the other five books of Hsan, which will most likely take them all over the world. So crossing over into another dimension won't happen for some time, thus there's no need to get too strict with the writing for a while.

Once we get closer to the Dream Lands. I'll post a write-up on them in the compendium so we'll all be on the same page.
Back to top Go down
Contrary

Contrary

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 7:37 am

Oh. My. Goodness.

So, I get the notification that something new has been posted to the OOC discussion, but I didn't get any notification that the story had been being updated! Oh my gosh I am SO SORRY you guys! I have not checked that thing since June. No I promise to try and catch up with everyone and put something in this weekend! Jeez!

PS: I loooooove the dreamlands, and I have the stuffed moonbeast to prove it, teeheehee. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CTHULHU OOC Discussion   CTHULHU OOC Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CTHULHU OOC Discussion
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next