Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling

Collaborative Storytelling • A Writer's Sanctuary • Multi-Genre RPG

Main  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Under the Bridge  Grimnir's Inn  RegisterRegister  BLOG  Log inLog in  

Wagon Train OOC

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 9:34 am

Remember, this is a POST Civil War era story. The Civil War was from 1861-1865.

This time period is taking place during the push westward after the Civil War and taking white settlers through much of the hostile Indian Territory that came about after the Indian Removal Act of 1830. Things were starting to heat up between the Indians and the whites which caused a great deal of friction.

This would also be the time frame close to the Battle of Little Big Horn where Custer was finally brought down.

Remember, when creating a character for this time frame and writing in this period of time, you need to keep historical facts in mind. If you're unsure, look it up on the internet.

You can create fictional places so it matches up with what you want, but make sure you keep the dates and major landmarks correct.

Back to top Go down
Sir_Easy

Sir_Easy

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 9:11 am

actually the post civil war piece Im thinking about removing or post dating it because this part of American history in 1837 really is intriguing. I don't think too many people really know how lucky the United States is, to be as large and whole as it is with 50 states.

We were on the verge of a World war between 1838 and 1842 on our own American soil. There were four countries seeking the rich soils of the Oregon terrority and 3 had forts pretty close to this area. The friction between the United States and Great Britain after the war in 1812 was pretty serious. Great Britain even though we won and beat back the blue coats, still left a sour taste in her Majestry's secret service.

In 1837 when President Jackson gathered bankers to financial invest and back his plan to send the first of many wagon trains across the great plains and the Rockies, the trip would take a minumin of 2 years. There would need to be a depot of some kind set up half way across or the most distant frontier trading post or fort the US had at the time. Adding the American Indians at seeing strangers cross their lands, yeah that would get them angry and other problems along the way caused by spies.

Yes I said spies...International attention. This is the story that may have more interresting angles to playout then just cowboys and indians. Spain claimed most of California, ...and were fighting Texans. Russia had a Fort on the Pacific coast (Fort Ross). I believe the US tried to bribe Russia by paying them off to leave but they didnt take the bribe money too well and sent a spy as did Great Britain to use all means in stopping the Wagon Train from making its final destintation.

There some settlers that had already crossed early on...these were missionaries such as the Whitmans missionary in Orgeon who tried to convert the Indians. The most distant Fort the United States had in this era was Fort Scott in 1842 and Great Britain Fort Vancouver.

This is their untold saga of a part of US history that has never been told in our US history books and should be.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 9:28 am

OK. We can run that angle if you would prefer. I'll change the description that states it's post Civil War.

In the meantime, you need to correct the reference to the Battle of New Orleans. It was part of the Civil War and if you want to portray this time period prior to the War, then you'll have to make the adjustment.

As I stated, if we're going to play this time period thread, we need to make as historically accruate as possible.

I'll use the date in your first post to indicate what period of time we're writing in.
Back to top Go down
Sir_Easy

Sir_Easy

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 9:41 am

Huh..

Battle of New Orleans took place on January 8, 1815 and was the final major battle of the War of 1812. American forces, commanded by Major General Andrew Jackson, defeated an invading British Army intent on seizing New Orleans and the vast territory the United States had acquired with the Louisiana Purchase

I will straighten out my age in the bio...after work today...

regards
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 9:44 am

Two different battle of New Orleans.

My bad.

Make sure you add that particular piece of information so no one else gets cunfused like I did.

I've already corrected the description to take out the Post Civil War information and I've added that the time period is the mid 1830's.

How's that sound?
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 9:47 am

Is it Ok for me to post some history and character development for my character?

If she is approved, that is.

Back to top Go down
Seige
Awesome
Awesome
Seige

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Okay... so is there a particular actual date we're running from?
I mean my original idea was way too late in the 1870's I think.

Hooray I can post!
KUDOS for the RPMistress. Long may she 'tress!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jackjward.com
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 5:50 pm

We're going with the 1837 and forward time frame. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

*chuckles*

And you're welcome, Seige. Glad I could help
Back to top Go down
Seige
Awesome
Awesome
Seige

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Okay... I'll see if I can invent something Smile
Looks fun!
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 8:20 pm

by all means.....I'll be glad to join in with you
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:08 am

OK. I've posted so anyone who would like to join in, help yourself....

There is no obligation for anyone to post to my character. I can keep soloing until a time is appropriate for our characters to meet.

Happy writing!
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 3:05 pm

Seige is an old friend of mine and I gave him permission to post prior to his character submission due to his extensive writing experience.

He will plunk the character in as soon as he finds the image he is looking for.

Welcome, Seige. Glad to have you writing with me again. It's been too long. The others will no doubt learn to love your writing as I have.

*hugs*

Back to top Go down
Seige
Awesome
Awesome
Seige

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 3:21 am

Thanks so much RPMistress,
I don't know how much time I'll have but I do enjoy playing to you, and taking my imagination out for a walk once in a while.
I'm working on a series of Western Audio Drama, so hopefully those writing will help inspire me in the genre. I'm a little late to the party, but I've always appreciated the western feel of things. Smile

Thanks so much for the invite!
*hugs back*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wagon Train OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Train OOC   Wagon Train OOC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wagon Train OOC
Page 1 of 1