Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling

Collaborative Storytelling • A Writer's Sanctuary • Multi-Genre RPG

Main  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Under the Bridge  Grimnir's Inn  RegisterRegister  BLOG  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Leaning over the strange cloven hoof tracks that lead away from Lyand's room, Yuèqiu looked up and watched the large man as he succumbed to what he believed was the sunlight. The man had fallen fast, far quicker than normal and he knew why. The wanderer rubbed his talisman in thought then tucked back into his tunic, there were very few creatures in this world that would have reacted to it the way the warrior had and Yuèqiu was now certain what this stranger was. The woman too had revealed some strange attributes, but he knew straight away that she was product of science, there was nothing mystical about her, not like the man.

Yuèqiu watched the tall man lying prone in the street and saw his opportunity. The woman-creature had depleted her ability and would hardly offer a challenge and in his weakened state the warrior would not be able to withstand his attack, but that was not his way. He hunted, but he was not a hunter and these people had not wronged him, not like the one before. Even though the man's blood was tainted, Yuèqiu would not define him by that alone as so many others of his kind would. A mistake? Maybe, but one he would he would live or die with knowing that he had not compromised his honour.

Watching the small women struggle under the warriors immense weight, Yuèqiu approached and took the other arm. He tossed it across his shoulder and together he and Kaelen dragged Zack back into the lobby of the motel.

Once inside the wanderer moved away and stood by the old front desk, folding his arms across his chest and tucking his hands into his large billowing sleeves. He said nothing, but his eyes remained fixed on Zack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://darkoak.org
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:40 pm

Kaelan's gaze was worried as she came upon Zack laying on the ground. Her body battered and bruised...again, she still smiled gently at the face she saw looking up at her. At his 'Hi again', she shook her head and helped him to his feet, his size crushing down on her when he was suddenly lighter. Looking over, she saw the stranger taking his other arm and helping her get Zack into the motel lobby. Laying Zack on the tattered couch inside, she stroked his hair back away from his face then looked up to see the stranger staring at Zack. Her eyes narrowing, she stands and walks to him, stopping a few yards in front of him.

"Why do you look at Zack like you do? What do you want with him?"

Even though she was exhausted, bloodied and bruised she still took a defensive stance in between the stranger and Zack, like a tigress protecting it's cub or mate her eyes going back and forth between their natural light blue and the golden/green of a tiger's as she tried to pull the tiger's dna again, but she was too drained.

"I won't let you hurt him. Do you hear me? I won't let you hurt him."

Kaelan didn't know what the stranger wanted, but she didn't like the way he was fixed on Zack.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Judge not nor fear that or those which you do not understand, for it or they may be someone or something that will aid you in the trials of your life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Yuèqiu stared right through the woman when she became defensive. Had he somehow hinted any malicious intentions? The woman seemed to react with a paranoia that the wanderer found disconcerting, she was definitely protective of the man, although he hardly felt he needed it.

When she was done speaking, he spoke, "It is difficult for one to see clearly with an unsettled mind. Have I done anything that has threatened your friend or you? " He paused for a moment, allowing Kaelen to ponder his words then he once more looked beyond at Zack.

"How are you feeling?", he asked the warrior.
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Kaelan gave the man a quizzical look, his words sinking in. No, he hadn't done anything that indicated a threat. She was being overly cautious and that could be just as dangerous as not being cautious enough. When he directed his next question to Zack, regarding his health, she relaxed.

"I apologize. I over-reacted and that is not like me. Please, forgive me."

Turning, she walked away from him and Zack both to give them time to talk if that is what was needed. She settled into a plush chair, tattered and torn that it was it was still somewhere to sit. She knew she looked like a wreck but she no longer cared, she was too tired. Never had she used the animal dna that ran through her body so much in such a short period of time. And she could still tasted the blood of the hyena creature in her mouth. What scared her was that she wanted to taste it again. She wanted to rip and tear away at flesh and the claws.......never had she had claws before...not like the ones she had when battling that beast. Curling up, she rested her head on the back of the chair staring at a picture on the wall.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Judge not nor fear that or those which you do not understand, for it or they may be someone or something that will aid you in the trials of your life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zack
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:04 pm

Zack had been sitting in the recliner in the lobby again his head throbbing he felt ill that was for sure a pounding headache just from the sun...Zack looked to the Chinese man the guy had helped that was for sure but why? “I’m fine thanks, just sunstroke haven’t been feeling well recently.” Something in his gut telling him not to talk about his affinity to sunlight but Zack felt this man knew more probably about what Kade was compared to him. Zack stretched in the recliner he used his hands to make his neck click to the left then to the right... “What are you doing all the way this way west and north?” Zack was interested in what would bring a man this far out and Zack hadn’t been blind to not notice that the Chinese had recognized the tracks of the cloven hoofs. He attempted to heave himself out of his seat with shaking arms he finally stood up. “I know it’s a little insulting but would by any chance have some sake on you or at least some type of alcohol beverage? Usually helps me keep my feet on the ground.”

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:10 am

As Yuèqiu and the tall warrior conversed it became quite apparent that neither of them was fooling the other, he even suspected that this 'creature' had a sense of what he was. In this part of the world, mysticism and magic still contended with science, but he could feel the forgotten world of magic stirring in the desolate wastelands. Every passing day it grew, and if there were not more creatures like the tall warrior walking the lands, there soon would be, and eventually no one would differentiate the aberrations of science from enchantment.

When Zack requested some alcohol, the wanderer removed his satchel from around his torso and walked toward the man. He unstrapped the cover and without needing to look dug his hand in and produced a tarnished metal flask. "It is strong." he warned as he passed it to Zack.

Yuèqiu then looked to the girl out of the corner of his eye then back to the warrior. He began to speak once more but the words he uttered were different. A tongue that Kaelen would find familiar only because it was a romantic language, but would have no understanding of it. A dead language that, Zack would recognize as Latin.

"I have traveled far night dweller."
he said in the ancient language, his pronunciations of some of the words effected by his Mandarin accent.

Yuèqiu knew the warrior could understand him, most like him could. He continued in the language then, out of respect for the old ways and also because he did not trust to reveal anything of his ways before those not of mystical world.

"Before I tell thee of my quest, know that I have no quarrel with thee, even though I know what stirs in thy blood... daemon. My fight is with another."

Yuèqiu was unmoving and stolid as he spoke in the ancient tongue. "How old are thee? From what time are thou?" he curiously asked.

Before the daemon's response he reverted back to English and humbly introduced himself, "I am Yuèqiu, a traveler like yourselves, but I also seek something and I believe it may be here. In your language my name means, Moon and I would not be offended to be called so if you wish."

Yuèqiu bowed deeply before the tall warrior and the woman, then closed up his satchel and looped it back across his body. "Please keep." he said to Zack, raising his hand to the flask.
Back to top Go down
Zack
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:43 am

Zack took the flask sniffing the contents seeming to find satisfaction in that then taking a swig it brought a smile to his face the feel of the strong burning sensation of alcohol running down his internals. “Defiantly good stuff this.” Zack looked to the man with a serious look to the Chinese man as he produced Latin well spoken but the accent was wrong due to his preferred language. “Nice thing to hear the old language no one really knows it not even the supposed priests who used it.” Speaking Latin as if it was his first language the words easily formed from his lips he respected the man they had both established they weren’t ordinary that was for sure so Zack listened to this...monk was a good word he could think of for the traveller hearing his questions and greetings.

Zack answered the question as good as he could finding difficulty in that time was difficult to keep track of looking for maybe a historical event the monk may know then deciding carefully he continued in Latin. “Queen Victoria... I became a demon almost 3 years before she was appointed queen my sister ....” Zack stopped reverting back to English. “There is no need for more of that I’m glad to meet you Moon and thank you for the flask my name is Zack.” The tall man taking a bow to respond to Moon’s own bow straightening up he took another swig turning to Kaelan. “Are you all right?” moving closer to her he crouched low his head level with hers when he was stooped down he reached out rubbing at a stain at the corner of her mouth. “You should clean this off and cares for your appearance don’t want to look like some mad raving person do you? We need to go looking for Lyand soon he was taken by whatever the monk is looking for unless Lyand is the problem..." He smiled to her taking her hand he helped her up taking her down the corridor they had already explored taking her to the bathroom he remembered not smelling as badly as the others leaving the monk to his own devices. "I'll go give this flask back and see if I can get some answers out of him." Leaving her to clean herself he walked back to moon in the Lobby the two of them Zack pulled the flask out holding it out to the monk. "Thanks but I don't want to be drink anymore strong stuff for sure."

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:07 pm

Kaelan allowed Zack to lead her to a semi-clean bathroom to clean up, still in somewhat of a shock over what had happened to her when she'd fought Boris. She walked as if in a trance and didn't say anything to him when he left her to her own devices to clean up.

Turning on the water, she was pleasantly surprised to find it trickled a thin stream of luke warm water. Not knowing how long the water would last, she looked around for a rag to wet and clean herself up with. Finding a dingy colored on hanging on a lop-sided towel bar, she took it wetting it under the thin stream of water. Standing straight, she looked into the mirror above the sink and stared at her reflection. She was stricken to see the dark circles under her expressive blue eyes. Shaking her head, she proceeded to wipe off her face then undressed to wipe off the rest of her body, grimacing as she rubbed along sore ribs and her bruised torso. God, but she ached. Once finished, she redressed and headed out of the bathroom to go back to where Zack and this 'Moon' were talking.

Entering the lobby area, Kaelan looked back and forth between the monk and Zack. She instinctively knew that the monk was different but not different like she was. She couldn't figure it out....yet, she just knew that he was different and something told her that he knew she was different as well. She simply hoped that he wasn't someone else who wanted to take her back to this doctor who had created her. She winced, thinking about the fact that she had been created instead of simply born. She'd always known that she was different after Bea had taken her from the labs, but she'd never dreamed that she'd been created.......that she was.....a freak like Dravesh.

She saw Zack look at her and give her a smile, his eyes warming. She smiled back to him, but hers was forced as these thoughts troubled her. She headed over to the two men, standing just on the left side of Zack. She glanced at Moon and gave him a tentative smile before turning her attention back to Zack.

"I am ready to search for our friend whenever you are, but I would like time to speak with you at the first opportunity......privately."

Kaelan turned and headed back to the chair she'd been sitting in earlier, curling up into the plush cushion as she rested her head on the back, her arms crossed over her as if she were chilled. A few moments later, she raised a hand without thinking about it and looked at the tips of her fingers, wondering about the claws that had grown from the nails.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 pm

Yuèqiu searched his memories for a reference to a queen named Victoria while, Zack saw to his companion and who she was only dawned on him by his return.

"You are very old." Yuèqiu stated as he gently took back the flask of alcohol from the warrior and carefully tucked it into his bag. "I have only known a few that have lived as long as you." he said as he patiently synched the straps on his satchel, "One had been driven mad by his own longevity and begged me end his suffering. It is what I do... Zack, but the one I seek, he does wish to die. He lives to inflict pain and suffering upon all others and so I have sworn to end his life and avenge those whom he has wronged."

Yuèqiu's eyes were drawn to the washroom door as the handle turned. Before it opened and Kaelen emerged he whispered to Zack, "She is a creature of science. They are dangerous." He then grew silent and continued closing up his final buckle as she entered the lobby. He did not speak or even move until she mentioned to Zack that they should resume searching for their friend when he was ready.

"This friend of yours. Was he in the room with hole in the wall?" Yuèqiu asked curiously.
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:13 pm

When she heard Moon mention Lyand and the room he had been in, Kaelan looked over to him then to Zack. She stood and walked back over to the two men, standing next to Zack. Before she answered she introduced herself.

"I am Kaelan and yes, our friend was in the room that now has a large hole in the wall. He is our travelling companion and friend and we would both like to find him......alive if at all possible."

She cocked her head to the side, studying Moon her blue eyes inquisitive.

"I have seen others like you....passing by the cabin where Beatrice and I lived. She was the woman who raised me after she......she raised me. They would always speak to her but not to me....I think because I was a child then. There was one though, who always returned. The one that was like you who visited me and Bea at our cabin was kind to us, teaching me different types of games to play."

Memories surfaced of the mond who would visit her and Bea and her brows furrowed together as she remembered him. He had spoken to her occassionally of the dna she carried and would tell her that she must retain control when she used the different animals that lived inside of her. She was beginning to understand what he'd meant, especially after what happened during her fight with the hyena beast. She pushed the memory to the back of her mind as she turned to Zack.

"We should go before the trail gets cold. I can call on my wolf dna and try to follow the scent if you wish. I don't know how long I will be able to hold it, though."

Kaelan was still tired from her previous battle with Boris and her body was still healing itself, but she would do the best she could for their friend.

"Will you be coming with us, Moon?"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zack
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Zack looked the monk up and down he nodded on the comment on his long life. “Yes, many people say I’m too old it never ends well when I tell them I chose to become what I am cause as I like to say ‘they want a piece of the pie.’” Zack listened to the monk of his occupation of the executioner of rampant demons he had to give credit for the monk to kill a demon he must be good at the blade at his side. Zack itched the side of his head along the scar as he remembered a certain moment in his life. “Yuèqiu have you ever found an obsession of your job in that you needed to kill.” Remembering a monk he had met so many years ago...Zack heard the door handle turn Moon leaning in close whispering his warning of science. His only reply was in Latin. “Are we not all dangerous?” Zack turned smiling as she exited he understood the danger behind science but he knew what nature was capable of...

Zack nodded slowly. “It would be nice to find Lyand alive.” Zack looked beyond the monk the sun rising higher and higher... “Don’t bother with the wolf DNA the tracks should be clear enough and this monk has a pretty little toy, which I believe has certain tact at following this type of person.” Zack recognized the medallion at the monk’s neck most believes it to be a holy symbol but more a trinket in his line of work almost a weapon. He eyed the sword with interest wondering if the blade could carve demonic flesh but he was in no hurry to test the monk’s abilities. Zack moved past the monk pushing up the collar covering almost all his face his eyes poking over the top of the collar as he moved into the sunlight.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:16 pm

Nodding her head, Kaelan looks to Zack as he prepares himself to go out into the sun, hoping that he would be okay. She looked at Moon, wondering what his story was, then shrugging her shoulders. It was none of her business, so she shouldn't concern herself about it, but she coudln't help but wonder about him anyway.

Heading for the door, she was the first one outside, her eyes squinting against the glare of the sun. She turned and look at Zack, her gaze worried, but she figured if he couldn't handle it then he wouldn't be coming. She looked down at the tracks, studying them...wondering just what kind of creature would make tracks like this. Was it a creature like her...a being of science? And, why didn't Zack want her using the wolf dna to track this creature? It was possible if it headed up into the rocks then they would lose the tracks. Maybe that's when he would want her to use it.

She looked in the distance, looking at the rocky terrain where the tracks led. She could only hope that their friend was okay until nightfall and that Zack would be okay as well.

"Shall we go? It looks like the tracks head towards the rocks."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:23 am

Yuèqiu ever so slightly smiled when Zack made mention of his 'other' talents. There was no doubt in his mind that the daemon could feel the medallion around his neck, not to mention all the other talismans he wore or carried, as well as the many symbols he had etched onto his skin. The tattoo imprinted upon his left hand was only the tip of the ice berg, but it was the powerful of all his symbols, the one that could draw upon all others.

It was true that Yuèqiu was able to trace the movements of the creature, but he saw no reason why the woman should not utilize her talents. "Please lead the way." he told her. Then silently followed behind them.

The cloven hoofed tracks, were of a bipedal creature and by their depth and the length of the strides one could tell that this thing was very large, far larger than Lyand. Oddly though, this creature left behind no scent. Nothing was left behind that would be detected by the keenest sense of smell. Not even a trace of Lyand's scent! It was impossible, but the only sign of this creatures passing could be seen in its tracks, and as they climbed higher into the rocks those quickly disappeared.

Yuèqiu looked at Kaelan with a somber expression. "We follow a creature unlike anything you have ever fought before, 'Chimera'." Explained the mystic swordsman, choosing to refer to Kaelan by what she was. He then stepped before her and Zack and facing the East, touched his medallion beneath his clothing and out stretched his left hand. The Chinese mystic shut his eyes while chanting lowly and the palm of his hand began glow dimly, as if it was reflecting light from some unseen source, then just as it began to brighten he closed it and opened his eyes.

"It is far." Said Yuèqiu, then he turned and looked to his new companions with a questioning expression.

It was apparent that the mystical warrior monk, wished to pursue the creature but he awaited to learn if Kaelan and Zack were ready to continue their trek across the wastelands so soon. He looked at Kaelen's wounds then studied the effects that the sun was having on the tall daemon warrior.

"The sun is high." Commented Yuèqiu as he stared up at the sky. He turned and stared Eastward, the determination evident upon his tanned and weathered face, then he looked back. "I do not believe that the crossing of our paths is an accident. Fate has brought us together and it tells me that I alone cannot defeat this creature. We must face it when we are at our strongest."

Yuèqiu grew silent and awaited the response of the woman and daemon-man. As much as he wished to follow the creature into the wastelands, he knew it would not be wise to go alone.
Back to top Go down
Zack
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:58 am

Zack walked at a steady pace in the sunlight he could feel the hot pins stinging his skin he found it bearable he looked down to the tracks... “Probably another shape shifter or it’s simply a half fledgling mutating the host into a form used mostly for killing rather than luxury.” Taking his guess at what had left the tracks on the floor he looked up in annoyance finding they indeed headed towards the rocks he had already known that it wouldn’t smell he had checked back in the room he had not caught a single hint of whatever they were trying to find.

“Don’t act so serious Moon we can all be friends here at least call her Kaelan not ‘Chimera’.” He understood where the Chinese man was coming from but he didn’t want to close off the idea Kaelan wasn’t human after all he wasn’t exactly a top notch representation of humanity. Zack gave a shiver as the Chinese man used his medallion feeling slightly weaker the pins of the sun becoming nails driven into his bones clenching his fists he fought the pain finally the monk finishing his incantation the pain subdued back to its ordinary pins and needles. “It’s only a little sunlight won't stop us and destiny is something I don’t like to think about but sure let’s get this under way.” He stepped beyond the Chinese man he thought Kaelan’s opinion would be similar after all Lyand was taken by the thing might as well say ‘hi’.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:04 am

The world had changed. It happened so quickly. In the time that it took for a single leaf to fall to earth all that once was, was no more, and an unseen realm born of the apocalypse had reaffirmed its grip on the common perception that dictated reality. Those born of the other world could feel the power resonating through them as an ancient legend came to pass with the fading of the blood moon that brought the dawn of a new age.

The great daemon stretched its arms up toward the sun in triumph. It had been an eternity since it had felt its warmth on its white skin, gleaming like silver in the light. It's small tattered vestigial wings widened as it stood upon the highest peak in the area. It surveyed its new kingdom with its burning red eyes and throwing its horned head back announced its presence to the world with a horrifying scream that echoed for miles.

As the blood curdling call trailed off into the distance it came to the ears of those who pursued it and those who had not suspected it would began to figure out that what they pursued had not taken Lyand. It was Lyand.

By sparing his brother in battle he had broke the last bastion that separated the worlds of magic and science. Far away, a similar creature, its skin as black as the night, returned the call of the white daemon and the earth began to tremble. Somewhere in the lands of what was once North America, an ancient stronghold rose from the depths of the Abyss. Its black spires split the ground and drop upward to the blue sky until they vanished in the clouds. The tremors stopped. The dark fortress now stood, a symbol of what was and what would come to be.

Yuèqiu had regarded Zack's words with silence before the tremors began. Like the warrior demon, he too felt the stir of magic in the air that preceded the quake and both could sense the rise of the dark fortress.

"It has begun." The mystic somberly said, "The Moon walks the day, and the Sun shall walk the night. What has been done, cannot be undone, but we can try and destroy them before they unleash their fury upon the innocent. I am sorry about your friend, but he is gone now and we must prevent the two brothers from finding one another."

Yuèqiu did not know if in fact Lyand could be saved. He did not know if he could be transformed back once again, and he did not care. He cared not to risk his life or the lives of others. Killing him the swiftest and most certain way to ensure that the creature did not become any stronger. He shuddered when he thought about what would happen if the two daemons met under the black sun.
Back to top Go down
Zack
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:03 am

Zack looked up to the sky the pins and needles forgotten as the magic stirred on him one half felt ill from the magic the other buzzed he felt Kade almost grow in his mind Zack suppressed the demon who was having the joy of yelling at him to kill the monk where he stood and then kill everything in their way they were the ones who would rules this world resurrecting Kade’s unholy gates all in his head. Zack breathing became difficult he tried for gulping gasps he reached down to his chest leafing inside his coat and shirt his hand resting on the tattoo closing his eyes he brought back the words of power which he had learnt so many years ago whispering for neither of the two to hear his hand seemed to sink into his skin almost as if it went to tear his own heart out then twisted like a key the tattoo of a pentagram twisting round with his hand all done covertly it closed off the demons screams to subdue him to a quiet whine.

Zack removed his hand from his coat the fingertips of glove slightly blackened he looked beyond the mystic feeling not seeing the black fortress which had risen in the distance... “A kingdom fit for us...” the demon whispering in his ear his obvious want for Zack to simply agree to its wishes and wreak havoc upon the innocents but the man knew about this dip into magic... “It’s been a long time since this last happened.” He gave a look at the black sun its light not burning his skin with the air thick with potent magic. Zack smiled to the mystic he could see at the back of those eyes the mystic was already wondering if Zack was actually in control of himself many weaker minded people being forced to their end of their ropes by the rapid gain in power of their inner demons. “Let’s go find Lyand and say hi like I said.”

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:17 pm

Kaelan had no idea what was going on nor did she understand what the monk was talking about, but it seemed that Zack did. She was watching both of them carefully when she sensed a change in Zack.

Turning her ice blue gaze towards him, she watched as he slipped his hand into his coat at chest level. A part of her wanted to step closer...see what was wrong, but something told her to leave it alone. She was beginning to care for Zack and she wasn't sure whether or not that was a good thing.

Looking away from him, she saw the black fortress form in the distance and felt dread spread through her. Suddenly, her eyes changed to that of the tigress, claws extending from her fingertips, blood dripping from them from the sharp growths. Her canines grew and she cut her tongue on one of them. She looked down at her hands, puzzled.

~What is going on with me? What is happening to me?~

She turned her golden/yellow eyes towards Zack then to the monk, her face showing her puzzlement. She felt the urge to taste blood, to rip into someone or something and gorge herself. She turned her stricken gaze onto Zack again, hearing his words but they did not register. She began to back away from the two men, afraid of what was happening to her. She looked back out at the dark fortress again and felt something pulling at her. It was coming from somewhere inside the fortress, but how could that be? She was a creature of science, wasn't she? Unless there was something different about the woman who had born her. She didn't know......she never knew her mother.

Just as suddenly, her claws receded as did her canines, her eyes becoming their bright blue once more. She looked at Zack again, holding back the tears that were threatening to fall.

"We should go. The sooner we do whatever it is we need to do the better."

Without waiting for them, Kaelan began a brisk jog towards the fortress. The thoughts and questions that were running through her mind drowned out the sounds of the two men behind her. She needed answers before something bad happened, answers that she hoped Zack could answer when they had a chance to talk.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:36 am

Yuèqiu could feel the inner turmoil of the tall warrior, a battle that had endured for centuries, and one that would only end with his death. The mystic knew that if ever there had been a chance to exorcise the man and rid him of — what was that name he had heard on the wind? Kade — the time had long since passed. They were one now and the demise of either would mean the end of them both. A pity, Yuèqiu considered as he walked along side the warrior.

Far away the black spires of the dark fortress sat, a new mountainous landmark on the horizon. It's distance could not easily be surmised, but in truth it was at least a hundred miles away from the travelers. So tall was the structure that it only vanished from sight from the coasts of the continent.

High on its mountain top Lyand the ancient god of the sanguine moon looked across the sunny wastelands upon the barely visible towers of the dark fortress and else where he knew his brother, Kryzhand was looking out upon the new horizon. It was now there time. Too long had the world of science ruled, now magic would take its proper place at its side for these gods knew that its power was not to be taken lightly. Science was a tool to be harnessed and not foolishly cast aside. They would embrace both and use what ever it took to reign supreme over all the lands, but before that much had to be done.

The great white daemon, stretched his arms out to the sun and chanted. As it spoke the archaic words its body turned transparent and eventually faded from sight, as it transported itself far away to just one of the many places that Lyand and Kryzhand needed to change before this world would truly become theirs.

As they walked toward the last place, Yuèqiu had felt Lyand, he placed his hand across Zack's chest slowing his pace, allowing some distance to form between they and Kaelen as she began to jog toward the far away mark on the horizon.

"Did you see the way she changed?" The mystic mentioned, "The rise of the dark fortress effects all. Those of magic and of science. She is a Chimaera, a combination, some may even consider an aberration. All things unnatural to this world will feel the power of the fortress."

Yuèqiu then studied Zack's face for a moment, noting that the strain he had felt earlier had subsided.

"You are feeling well again, I see. The next three days will be trying and you must not let, Kade control you until they have passed. It is written that three days after the rise of the dark towers the world will change. It had already begun and we cannot stop it, but we can prevent ourselves by being corrupted by the darkness if we hold onto what we truly are. You and Kaelen are at risk, because you are creatures with more than one head. Take care if you wish to remain in control. Please speak with your friend about this and ensure that she understands that for three days she must use her other forms sparingly else she may never return to the person she is now."

Yuèqiu's grim face then twisted into a smile and he slapped, Zack on the back. "You are strong." he said confidently, "Do not fear what the world will become, it has been changing now for some time. Three days hence, the change will be complete and only in the New Age can we defeat the gods of the blood moon and black sun, but we cannot fight them directly. It is only by defeating their minions that we can weaken them and already they spread through the land like a plague."

The mystics eyes focused on Kaelen then, as she bounded ahead of them. "The dawn of this new age will cause great changes in the creatures of science. Those who are not strong enough to resist the will of the dark fortress will become monsters and they will stand beside the demonic creatures of the underworld that are even now manifesting themselves in the world as we speak. I pray that she has the will to resist, other wise you know what you must do."
Back to top Go down
Zack
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:18 pm

The monk walked beside him Zack eyes looking down at the ground he had seen the black fortress before it was defiantly something to see but like a child he shrugged and simply acted the ‘seen that, done that, what’s next’. He looked up to Kaelan she was probably wondering what was happening and Zack didn’t know full well either after all he believed her to be just science not part of the demonic world it made no sense that the Doctor had made demons not genetic spliced humans. He kept the thoughts to himself as he looked up at the black sun...hearing Kade’s whisper that its nothing compared to the Crimson moon now that is what gives power to demon’s seeming to make the black sun a small party trick. His discussion with his inner self stopped when a hand was placed on his chest he looked down to it. “You worried about the demo...” Zack had felt another demon Kade had given a hint on the thing moving but the subject was not on the demon but Kaelan.

Zack smiled to the mystic. “I’ll tell her to use her forms sparingly and if we can we should keep her from doing it at all for these three days like I daren’t release Kade beyond a certain extent.” They were walking slowly Zack casting the occasional glance into the sky where nothing seemed to be few would realise it the location of the moon. “I have some issues with the blood moon...You see the blood moon Kade in mythological history stole it infusing it to a gateway named Kade’s gates obviously this relic of a gate could never be found I heard though that the God of the moon was pleased with these gates and asked if they could share it as a gift so it was lifted to the sky.” Zack looked to Kaelan more concern than ever his eyes narrowing behind the tinted glasses. “At night time the concentration of magic and evil in the air goes up during the night when the moon rises opening its gates allowing slain enemies to walk the earth as slaves to his master and.... you get my drift?” Zack looked to the mystic to measure whether he understood how serious the situation could get at night times. “If it comes to that stage I will take responsibility for her then." His hands seeming to relax a moment of cool reflection of no emotions as quick as the moment had come it was gone back to his smiling self.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:27 am

Yuèqiu respected Zack's conviction and nodded humbly. He had no desire to take life if he did not have to and the half-demon's offer was an admirable one. Walking on then, Yuèqiu began to speak to the tall warrior, his eyes remaining on the ground.

"I will not lie to you, I have waited a long time for the change. The blood moon will rise for another three days and when it sets for the last time the veil will be lifted from the unseen realm and the world will be transformed. It changes even now as we speak, and when it is done, I will at last have my vengeance against the one who destroyed my village. The one whom you call Lyand."

The mystic's eyes then followed Zack's and rested on the bestial woman. There was no magic within her blood, a product of science, a creature that negated magic rather than conjured it. Should she survive the next three days and not succumb to the change her role would continue as a being of science, a being who would to not easily be effected by magic. Such was their nature. To be resilient against it and not ever truly embrace it. Balanced, for no being could wield the powers of both science and magic equally, one was always stronger than the other.

Yuèqiu did not fully trust, the Chimaera, Kaelen for just that reason. The unpredictability of the animal nature within her made the mystic wary, but in time he hoped to understand her better, that is if she faired well over the course of the blood moon.
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Kaelan had heard some of what the monk had said to Zack, her hearing better than humans. She didn't hear everything, but she'd heard enough to know that something bad could happen to her over the next few days and it could cost her her life. She wouldn't allow this to happen.

She stopped suddenly, waiting for the two men to catch up to her and when they did she turned to face them, hurt in her gaze when she looked up at Zack.

"I want answers and I want them now. Both of you know something that is happening to me and maybe even why. Why will the next few days be difficult for me and for Zack? Why did I begin to change? I don't physically change at random....I've always been able to control my animal dna."

Kaelan's eyes suddenly changed again, going the amber of a wolf's, looking like Sin's eyes. Her canines grew and she gave a growl from deep within her throat. She fought for control and won, her eyes returning to their blue once more, her canines receding.

"What....is....happening....to....me? Tell me!!"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zack
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Zack kept his eyes on Kaelan as they got closer he wanted to ask the mystic about what his revenge entailed but when on such a missions details were usually gory and not a topic easily shared. The two caught up to Kaelan. Zack found it hard to keep her stare knowing if she did succumb to the moon he may have to kill her to save his own and the mystic’s skin. When they reached Kaelan she had a go demanding the answers of the conversation him and the monk had practically talked about when she had trotted off. “Well...” Zack was about to begin when she changed before him his own grey eyes lighting up in reaction to the threat but he was caught almost in confusion as he saw the golden amber eyes. She returned to her original blue he found no difficulty in reducing the sudden glint of his eyes from his heightened state of reacting to danger the two looking into each other’s eyes.

“It’s the effects of two demons like me not a person created by science but natural anomalies uncharted. The two demons were able to releasing the bindings on all the removed natural anomalies causing strange unusual things to happen from the morphing of an exterior to the corruption of land or mind. Most would call it magic, an unexplainable force which interacts with our world in strange ways.” Zack looked beyond her towards the fortress his eyes narrowing slightly as he almost thought he could catch a glimpse of it but told himself it wasn’t possible he looked back to Kaelan pulling her into a hug his arms wrapped round her whispering in her ear. “Just survive three days with me and no more of this random changing business will occur a natural resistance will set in place.”

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiphereth

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:27 pm

Yuéqiu stood silently by, with his usual grim expression. All the while Zack comforted the woman, he could fee Kaelen's questioning stare boring into him but remained stolid for the time being. The half-demon's explanation was accurate, but he expected nothing less of the ancient creature, who even he by comparison seemed a youngster.

As Zack held Kaelen close the wind stirred around them. Roaring gusts arose from out of no where and with them came a mass of clouds that filled sky, churning and writhing like the surface of a cauldron's brew. Shadows began to race along the ground as the clouds turned amber and the world seemed to instantaneously darken. In a matter of moments it had become dusk and while the remaining embers of day painted the clouds blood red, Yuéqiu remained still, his eyes focused upon the setting sun.

"Darkness will now enshroud the land for three days."
Explained the mystic, then he turned and his dark eyes fell upon Kaelen.

The mystic walked over to her and as he drew nearer picked up a stick. Twirling the dead branch his hands he stood before the woman, his charcoal eyes looking deeply into hers. He then moved quickly, turning to his left and drew into the sandy ground four lines.

He pointed to the area in between the two lines to the left. "This is the realm of demons and magic." he stated, then moving the stick, he touched the area between the two lines to the right, "This is your world," he explained then touched the stick to the gap in the middle, "and this is Midean, a world unseen by the people of your realm for thousands of years."

Yuéqiu looked at Kaelen. "Do you understand?" he asked her, but did not await or even want an answer. Instead he kneeled down and with his hand wiped away the line that separated what was Midean and what he had referred to as Kaelen's world.

"The barrier is down... Kaelen. It will not ever return. Now the world of Midean and what you have always perceived as real are becoming one. Nature is changing. It is readjusting and people of your kind especially will be at risk." Explained Yuéqiu from his kneeling position.

Smoothly the mystic rose to his feet in one motion and cast his hand toward the east to where a large mound of rock loomed above them. "Come." he requested, and began walking around the small mountain. Night fell as they walked around the rocks and off in the distance they could see the lights of a settlement. The off to their a right a low rumbling could be heard and the ground began to shake. As the sound became louder, Zack recognized it to be something that he had not heard in centuries, but to Kaelen it remained alien. A bright light appeared from behind them and as it drew closer they could see that it a large headlight of an enormous vehicle. Kaelen would recognize it to be a train, but was unlike any she had ever seen.

The steam engine chugged its way past them on a railway that would take it to the distant town. Dark smoke trailed over it in the remaining glow of dusk and as it meandered by them, two men could be seen at the back of the black machine shoveling fuel into its fiery furnace.

"The world has changed." Stated Yuéqiu as he looked into the windows of the passing cars with a fondness in his stare. "Midean has always been reluctant to embrace the ways of science but some technology you are familiar with is used. Most of the inventions of your world will no longer work here, your guns are now useless, only those crafted by sorcery will work."

Yuéqiu walked toward the town and gestured to a pile of stones, the ruins of some ancient building. "There are many remnants of the past that, like the towns and cities will become visible. Know, that the apocalypse of Kaelen's world conjured a firestorm that devastated Midean also and so we had to rebuild as well. Our two post-cataclysmic worlds are now one and the two natures, one of magic and one of science will require three days to coalesce."

"You will find that the towns of Midean will appear very old, but you will find such modern items as generators and electric lights in some places." Yuéqiu further explained as they walked on toward the town, "You will find Kaelen, that your strength lies in your resilience to magic. So do not despair in this new place. Embrace and learn to understand it for it is your resistance that will cause you to turn."

Yuéqiu nodded then became silent once more, his eyes focused on the lights ahead, wondering what they would find in the unknown Midean village.
Back to top Go down
Zack
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:19 pm

The wind seemed to tug a group of hairs from their uniform set up sliding across his face with little effort he blew the stray hairs out of his eyes. A slight smile coming to his lips more a smirk than a real smile he finally realised how long it had been since he had laughed truly not hysterically but normally. His eyes following the mystics to watch the setting sun the light disappearing Zack continued to watch the horizon he frowned slightly a faint buzz at the back of his brain.

Zack looked down hearing the faint whir of the twig through the air the mystic drew a diagram he himself had drawn before a million times. The man named them and even explained the theory Zack frowned it was old teachings which most people would never have been associated or even imagined existed some nonsense about demons. Zack was interested where the monk had learnt such things and could find no other way of asking nicely as they walked round the mountain. When they reached round it they saw the train he couldn’t believe his eyes. “That’s an old steam train that’s an old thing to use most would use at least diesel first.”

Zack eyes narrowed when he heard about the guns crafted with sorcery. “They are rare antiques such guns usually kept as heirlooms through a family.” Thinking aloud he followed the train off into the distance with interest. Zack walked his arm still wrapped round Kaelan a smile touching the side of his lips. “If her strength is in resilience in magic what are mine and yours oh great wise one.” Zack lifting his free hand to scratch at the claw scars a habit of his as he glanced to the mystic.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Kaelan warmed inside when Zack wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close. She was truly becoming enamored with him and no longer wished to fight it. When the monk explained to her how the different planes of existence worked and what was happening between them, how the wall between Midean and her world had ceased to exist and the two worlds were combining. This magick he spoke of intrigued her and confused her at the same time, but she did understand one thing. If she didn't resist the pull of changes happening within her, she would have to be destroyed.

She nodded her head to the mystic, indicating that she understood what he'd shown and said to her. She was deep in thought as they moved on, Zack's arm wrapped around her slim waist. She leaned into him, craving his nearness in this confusing time. She looked up as the darkness fell upon them, feeling her animal dna within her shifting around, as if all the different animals were battling for dominancy within her. She kept walking, not indicating that there was any turmoil going on inside of her when indeed there was. The old steam engine terrified her as it came by and she all but tried to disappear into Zack's side. She heard Zack say what it was and wondered how he knew about it. She also quietly wondered why the monk wanted to kill Lyand. She was still confused on Lyand's part in all of this, but hadn't asked as of yet.

As they rounded the mountain and Zack asked the mystic about the two of them and their strengths when hers was resilience to the magick that was descending upon them.

"What about you, Zack? How will you fare the next 3 days? Will you be okay?"

Her blue eyes filled with concern as she looked up at him while they were walking. She was truly worried about him and how he would do, even as she knew that if she failed to keep herself under control he would be the one to end her life.

She lifted a hand up as the wind blew the strands of hair back into his face. It was a stretch for her, but her fingers reached up and gently pushed the hair out of his face. A soft smile formed on her face as she waited for him to reassure her that he would be okay.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3   

Back to top Go down

Life After the Cataclysm - Chapter 3
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next